Dove to 85 feet no saftey stop on ascent...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

strfsh

Reaction score
On the way up my computer kept saying slow, and I slowed. the alarm never went off. I was VERY tired after that dive. I went to sleep at 8:30pm (thats early for me.) woke up once during the night really sick. Went back to sleep and woke up at 9:00am.

I'm wondering if any of that are signs of DCS or am I being paranoid.

Dear Strfsh:

Your Dive

The report of your dive to 85 feet should be accompanied by some indication of the time at depth (= dose of nitrogen). I will make the assumption that you were within the range of proper decompression. Thus the question is, could I have DCS simply because I exceeded the ascent rate? Barophysiology is the only field of which I am aware that all things are possible, so it is difficult to say*.

That piece of whimsy aside, yes, people have noted a feeling of lethargy when ascending from deep dives. I believe that these are generally on the order of 140 fsw or greater and some decompression stop is always made near the surface.

To counter the feeling of being tired, “deep stops” have been added by some divers. These stops have been noted to make divers feel better; when placed between one-half the bottom depth and the first stop, they are often referred to as “Pyle stops.” That “feel good” sensation is, naturally, somewhat subjective. :jester:

DCS this time?

In your case, I would not believe that what you had was DCS as it is customarily graded. That is not to say that there was not “silent bubble” formation in your tissues. There might well have been and you did display a reaction to them. The possibility exists that you are one of the more sensitive individuals with respect to gas bubble formation and growth.

Dr Deco :doctor:

* It is amazing to perform a laboratory study with rats and find such a variance in results. One can remove four rats from a pressure chamber and find two unaffected by the profile and two fall over dead. “Hit” happens. :bonk:

Thank you for your quick reply. I feel much better now. I just started wondering....and well....when the mind wonders....LOL

Thanks again....:)

Strfsh....just wondering why there was no safety stop??? not even at the recommended 15'?
just curious..

I had let a rental camera go at depth and I was sent up alone to find it. I totally forgot about the saftey stop. Well, I thought about it for a minute, but the clock wasn't working on my rented gauge and I really wanted to find the camera. Anyway, I was only down for 18 minutes and not at 85 feet the entire time. I did find the camera....:)

Afterwards when I was so sick I thought maybe that was the reason, but it was most likely a coincedence...:)

Back
Top Bottom