Trip Report Douglas AD-4L Skyraider (San Diego, CA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It has been a while since the last post. I got my MOD3 at Eagles Nest and then had some family related issues come up so I've been out of the So Cal ocean for a couple months.

But, @California Diver and I are back at it.

@California Diver has been working a long time on finding the Skyraider that Dennis Burns located and identified back in 2014. Captain Lora got a new sonar/nav system for the Marissa and Tyler went to work with her to find the Skyraider. They located it and confirmed it a couple weeks ago. I dove it this past week to take some photos and to document the current condition. It has a lot of sand and, given the current conditions, the visibility wasn't great and the water was very green.

We put together a post about the Skyraider and some photos from the dive.

Douglas AD-4L Skyraider (San Diego — XX fsw)

We have a few other targets lined up and will hopefully find some new So Cal wreck sites soon. Sonar image and a pic of the 20mm cannons are below. More details and photos are in the post.

IMG_0192.jpeg
sky1.jpg

I've dived a Skyraider in Subic Bay in the Philippines, not sure what model it is but it was not a single seater.

Depth 35m

full

@beldridg if you are interested in aviation wrecks I can send you some more images.

Very cool, thanks for the photos. Looks like it is in pretty good shape.

The Subic bay plane, from what I have read, was a AD-5N night-attack four seater variant. There were a lot of variants of the Skyraider including some with two seats (AD-5), three seats (AD-3), etc.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom