DIR- Generic Doubling the necklace bungee ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if any of you tie two necklaces on the secondary on short hose ?

What happens if you have only one and the necklace breaks during a dive ?

what @SleepySlipper said. Doubling that bungee is going to be a right PITA. I've had the knots come undone on some borrowed ones before and you just pause the dive, retie it *may be ugly if you have thick gloves on*, and keep on going. It's not a bungee that's ever really under load though so if it passes predive inspection it shouldn't ever break.

.....What happens if you have only one and the necklace breaks during a dive ?

And to answer that question, nothing happens. You should be in the habit of not only touch checking your gear during a dive but, as a good DIR buddy, you and your buddies should be randomly watching each other (mainly bubble checks) and your broken necklace would become quickly obvious either to you or them.

And in practice, unless you are going through tight caves or wrecks, the "break" will usually happen as you are pulling it over your head. Or, as I have done once or twice, get talking and forget to put it over your head at all!

With a properly secured bungee, it’s a non issue.

You’ll notice if something is amiss either visually before putting it on, or during your flow/reg check after donning your equipment.

If you happen to snag it during a dive... it was too long, and I’d check a few other places too for damage (drysuit hose, inflation valve, drysuit, etc)

_R

Thanks all for the replies

what @SleepySlipper said. Doubling that bungee is going to be a right PITA. I've had the knots come undone on some borrowed ones before and you just pause the dive, retie it *may be ugly if you have thick gloves on*, and keep on going. It's not a bungee that's ever really under load though so if it passes predive inspection it shouldn't ever break.

In my case I zip tie the necklace.

Also, if it was to break, not sure I could redo it with gloves.

why zip tie? or is it under the mouthpiece zip tie?
Yes it is under the mouthpiece zip tie

I’ve never once seen a bungee necklace break.

use the same zip tie for the mouthpiece and crank it down. Ain’t goin nowhere.

looks like it is reasonable to just check it before the dive

I guess with the other hoses going next to it, I don’t think it can go very far in the unlikely case the necklace breaks

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom