Doubles isolator valve hitting head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm just getting started diving doubles, and I recently made some progress after adjusting my BP/W and tank positions until I got to a position where the center of gravity feels just right.

However, I am now faced with trying to somehow lower the tanks so that I stop banging my head on the isolator valve when trying to look straight ahead. The problem is that I can't comfortably completely lean my head back to get a better angle of what's ahead and above. And then I end up leaning my whole upper body backward if I want to do that, switching to a different position other than horizontal. I can do that just fine with my single tank configuration, staying horizontal and not hitting my head.

Here's what I think I can do and what I have already done:

-Move the tanks down by attaching the backplate using the lowest hole. I was planning on giving that a try next time I go diving, but I feel that the 2-inch difference will not completely fix the problem.
-Lower the tanks by increasing the shoulder strap lengths and shortening the crotch strap. The only issue with that is that I have the backplate set in a position I really like right now, and that could also interfere with the entire balance of the system.
-I thought someone would ask about the tank bands, but I can't move them. They're right at the bend where the cylinder shape starts.

I just wanted to ask for opinions and suggestions, as it is very possible I may have missed something or done something not quite right.

twist the isolator valve to point more to the back so your head hits the side of the valve and not the top. that gives you head a lot more angular tilt back before hitting the valve.

twist the isolator valve to point more to the back so your head hits the side of the valve and not the top. that gives you head a lot more angular tilt back before hitting the valve.

How do I do that? Do I just loosen up the two nuts on the side and the isolator loosens up?

How do I do that? Do I just loosen up the two nuts on the side and the isolator loosens up?
Depending of the style of isolator valve and preference of the person that build the twinset you may be able to just rotate the isolator valve.
see more info at How To Assemble A Twinset
of course it is safer to do unpressurised if you're uncertain

Depending of the style of isolator valve and preference of the person that build the twinset you may be able to just rotate the isolator valve.
see more info at How To Assemble A Twinset
of course it is safer to do unpressurised if you're uncertain

I have this (see below) so it looks I can do it pressurized just by loosening the lock nuts?

DGX Premium Dual-Outlet Long Neck Manifold w/Isolator | Dive Gear Express®

It is actually slightly unlocked right now, as it was recommended when I bought them in case I hit something really hard they just twist instead.

I have this (see below) so it looks I can do it pressurized just by loosening the lock nuts?

DGX Premium Dual-Outlet Long Neck Manifold w/Isolator | Dive Gear Express®

It is actually slightly unlocked right now, as it was recommended when I bought them in case I hit something really hard they just twist instead.
I haven't personally seen DGX manifolds IRL but those seem to be just like Apeks ones that you can turn as the o-rings are around the axle not in the tip

You could try a short-neck manifold?

SEE-MODABD-300.jpg
dx-722450-ln_1b.jpg

Sea Elite Double Tank Dual Valve Manifold 300 BAR
Rating:
%
$109.95
Add to Cart

Attachments

• dx-722450-ln_1b.jpg
    dx-722450-ln_1b.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 153