doubles and bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafinatic

Registered
Reaction score
Why is it that after seeing countless people in the past using doubles with no obvious bouyancy control devices able to do so and now it is seemingly an impossibility?

Originally posted by scubafinatic
Why is it that after seeing countless people in the past using doubles with no obvious bouyancy control devices able to do so and now it is seemingly an impossibility?
Watch the old [camera] shots -- they're constantly swimming or resting on the bottom. Even the old 72s when doubled would swing about 11 pounds from full to empty. You can't compensate for that much of a swing with your lungs.

Nowadays we've come up with a better, smarter and much, much easier way to dive than in the "old days."

Roak

so then you understand why i ask the question to begin with in the face of critisism and redicule.Its really the safety factor and not because its impossible or anything.Its kinda like driving a car with or without airbags.You know what I mean?Its like ,How dare he even suggest such a thing when its the men and women who pioneered this sport who dared to but we dont ostracise them for doing it cause they couldnt help it.LOL
Forgive me for taking a stance like this but its true.If you look there is a gentleman who in another thread says he does the very same thing I am wondering about regularly and with apparent ease.Dont get me wrong .Im not resisting the good advice I have gotten on the subject but its kinda like the question to dive with a buddy or not dive with a buddy isnt it?

Bad analogy. Air bags and even seat belts are fairly passive devices that only come into play in an emergency. Not the case with diving doubles without a BC.

That’s more like driving a car with a crank starter sticking out the front grill. Those things used to maim folks all the time when they’d backfire (only breaking their arm or arms if they were lucky)

Diving doubles with the small cylinders of the time was a necessary step to get to where we are today, and for those pioneers I have the utmost respect. However, there’s only three reasons to dive such a configuration today and that’s nostalgia, machismo or stupidity (overlaps quite a bit with machismo). Otherwise there’s no reason to dive such a kit or to recommend it as a currently viable option.

Oh, and if you start talking about the newer high-volume cylinders (like 95, 104s and 120s) you can drop nostalgia and machismo from the list.

Roak

I cant do anything but agree and maybe the analogy is slightly off base nonetheless is understood.Since we dont have to do such things out of neccesity as the founders once did there is no point and i do understand .I am now looking at wings and backplate /harness system.

Yo Roakey,

I'll have you know that 2xlp95s with my one piece 7mm
wet suit is just the ticket for not needing a weight belt !!!

Yee Hah !!! Express-ride to the bottom.

G_M

ps. just kidding

Originally posted by scubafinatic
I cant do anything but agree and maybe the analogy is slightly off base...
On the way in I decided I didn't like my analogy either. Haven't come up with a good one to replace it, though.

Roak

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
Yee Hah !!! Express-ride to the bottom.
You do a lot of shore diving, so I'll just assume that you have an extended definition of "walking to the dive site." :)

Roak

ain't it the truth. can afford boat diving only twice a month.

on the other hand i do NOT usually carry doubles for a shore
dive. Done it once before (with a dry suit). A friend wants to video me running through some skills (valve shutdowns, lift bag, etc)
so I will use them again this summer for a shore dive (dry suit).
Cripes, I think he wants me to carry a deco bottle too ... that will
be a hoot to all the BOW divers at the site !!!

thanks guys for only adding to my confusion on the prudent choices to make.I guess I will let you all know how it goes via a telegraph message from the atlantic telegraph cable or a kind posting depending upon which way it goes LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom