Double tanks and manifold question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, I use SS bands with along screw to connect the bands to the backplate, removing the setup and back to single tank setup would only take 3 minutes, getting it back would take no more than 5 minutes (if on dryland or the sea is calm and I am on a boat) or something like 10 minutes with high care if the sea is rough.. so it is not a big deal anyway... setting it up for the first time took sometime as I had to assemble some nuts on the tanks side, however removing it and reinstalling would be easier as I now just unscrew the nut on my back's side and thats it ....
here is a photo of the setup, I just unscrew the nut that appears under the Poseidon logo in one photo then the whole setup is free from the BC in one piece as seen in the other photo.

Those bands are normally used with a manifold, the Ultimate Velcro Bands I use I don't think are made anymore but these are Twins instructions
I made some brackets out of aluminum for about $20 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/243915-twin-brackets.html. Here is another way to do it http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/246601-diy-travelling-twin-cam-band.html. If you made some brackets these cam bands would work well Highland Millworks Hi-Tension Tank Cam Band w/ Quick Release.

Solly -

Slight threadjack:

I use the same Poseidon Advanced Harness (w/ W50 wing) and I am preparing to mount doubles on it for the first time. I noticed in your photo that you are using the "Butterfly" pin bolt kit. In your opinion, are the Butterfly pieces necessary if you're using ss twinning bands or could you just use a standard pin bolt kit?

I keep debating whether to order the Butterfly kit or save the $50 and use the pin bolts only. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Here's my independant twinset.

It uses four tank bands, four weight belt stoppers (two sets of two, doubled up for strength) and two small STA's. I also splurged on left and right valves.

Picture127.jpg

Picture129.jpg

As I see micklocks link above DIY: travelling twin cam band I remember that floaters setup was the one that originally gave me the idea.

Solly -

Slight threadjack:

I use the same Poseidon Advanced Harness (w/ W50 wing) and I am preparing to mount doubles on it for the first time. I noticed in your photo that you are using the "Butterfly" pin bolt kit. In your opinion, are the Butterfly pieces necessary if you're using ss twinning bands or could you just use a standard pin bolt kit?

I keep debating whether to order the Butterfly kit or save the $50 and use the pin bolts only. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Arkstorm,

I had the chance to look on both. The pinbolt kit without the butterfly will work but you will need some effort to tighten the nute to have the tanks fixed in the SS bands. The butterfly will increase the pushing area so that the effort needed is less. This is the only point I noticed as a difference between the 2 kits, other than that when they are tightened well, there is no difference.
I would go for the butterfly again if I have to choose, I am not transferring completely to doubles and I would need to get back to single everynow and then, hence I need the easier one.

One more thing, my SS bands came with their own screws and nuts, however I found that the poseidon kit is more useable. The SS band kit had the screw with a head, hence to change from doubles to singles you have to unscrew everything just to take the screw out of the harness from the side close to your back, however the poseidon kit has a nut to close on the headless screw from the back side, so to take off the setup all you need is just unscrew one nut and thats it.

Back
Top Bottom