Double Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
Today i was looking at my doubles and notice the left tank sits 1cm higher then the other tank. Are your tanks like this?
Chris

My doubles sit perfectly even. Did you buy your tanks as a matched set? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they are steel, steel tanks seem to have a bigger tolerance on height then aluminum.

Yes they are steel 100 tanks, from my dive shop. I dunno but its about 1cm.
Chris

HybridDiver:
Yes they are steel 100 tanks, from my dive shop. I dunno but its about 1cm.
Chris

If they are booted cylinders...are they fully set in the boots?

Exact same valves on both tanks?

Here is a bit more. If the cylinders came from different batches they could well be slightly different in height. This is quite common. Most people when buying doubles new let the distributor know so that two matched cylinders are sent. In my case, mine are from the same batch. In fact the serial numbers are sequential for both sets.

If you have boots you can easily compensate for height differences or as was suggested perhaps it is the boots. Or as Rick suggested if the manifold was pieced to together the left and right valves could be slightly different.

The manifold came from diverite express so its the package, the tanks are booted. I have not dove for awhile cause I am stuck in Alberta working and my stuff is back home, The tanks are not from the same batch I think. Bought 2 weeks apart at the diveshop.
Chris

The manifold came from diverite express so its the package, the tanks are booted. I have not dove for awhile cause I am stuck in Alberta working and my stuff is back home, The tanks are not from the same batch I think. Bought 2 weeks apart at the diveshop.
Chris

Just measure the cylinders without boots. If they're different, well, there you go, the doubles won't sit evenly. That'd probably piss me off. I ordered matched cylinders for my doubles.

Chris

Sadly, somewhat normal.
I had an issue with Worthington X8-130s where we had to go through basically all possible pairings of 5 tanks (at least 4 of which were from the same batch) to find a combo that was even within 0.5cm

I believe XSScuba stated that the tolerance for tanks used to be 1/4" either way (height-wise) but they now improved it to 1/8"

From a visual inspection, it seemed the differences were in tank neck only, but without measuring, kind of hard to say for sure.

Hey guys, When i look at the tanks it does look like the one neck is lil short. Hard to say, I got 40 dives in this summer on them and they did not feel any different, they just sit kinda weird. No problem with me, manifold looks like it has no stress so everything is OHHHTAY with me :)
Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom