Double 80's; Torus 38 or LCD 50.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Tobin,

Another one of those what sort of wing should I get questions.

I spoke with you the other day on the phone about my doubles configuration. here is what I'm looking to do.

I currently have two Catalina compact 80's. They are the 'C80', 3,300 psi aluminum tanks.

I am going to try and buy some regular 3,000 psi aluminum tanks, but they are not really available on Guam. All of the shops order and sell the compact 80's, so I may have no choice other than to stick with the compact 80's.

So, I will dive with a Pinnacle seal 3mm wet suit, it's 4-to-5 lbs buoyant. I'm going to order a Kydex backplate, size med. and a hog harness.

My question is about the wing. Obviously a Torus 38 is the logical choice, we discussed that over the phone.

If I have a doubles setup with the compact 80's, I'll be about 6-to-8 lbs. over weight with near empty tanks at the surface. I may have to go this route if I can't locate any normal aluminum 80's.

I currently dive an LCD 30 singles rig with a steel, medium plate which I love.
I'm not concerned at all about having a donut wing vs. a horseshoe. In fact, I'm glad I have a horseshoe wing. It's nice to have the option of being able to access the inner bladder for a quick and dirty aqua seal repair if I need to. It seems to me that the bottom of the wing is less likely to get pinched between the ground or deck and the tank(s) also.
30 lbs. of lift is more than I need for where I dive. The LCD 30 is so streamlined, and the center panel is so narrow, that I don't mind it being too much lift. With a nearly empty wing there is no real 'flapping' of the wing.
for surface swimming and shore diving, the extra lift is nice also.

All that being said....

In regards to trim, would there be a significant difference in trim between the compact 80 aluminum tanks and normal aluminum 80 tanks?

In comparing the Torus 38 wing and the LCD 50, they are both about equal in bias. Neither is shaped like the Torus 42, which is shaped to have more lift at the hips.

Do compact 80 doubles need a wing shape like the Torus 42? I'm guessing that they wouldn't.

If the compact doubles would use the same wing shape as regular aluminum 80's. How would an LCD 50 work for the configuration I'm looking to put together?

I realize it would be too big in terms of lift. But if the LCD50 is anything like the LCD 30 I dive in terms of being trim and streamlined once bolted up to the 7.25" diameter aluminum tanks, then I probably wouldn't be too worried.

Please read over this if you get a chance, your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tobin,

-Mitch

If I would like

Hi Tobin,

Another one of those what sort of wing should I get questions.

I spoke with you the other day on the phone about my doubles configuration. here is what I'm looking to do.

I currently have two Catalina compact 80's. They are the 'C80', 3,300 psi aluminum tanks.

I am going to try and buy some regular 3,000 psi aluminum tanks, but they are not really available on Guam. All of the shops order and sell the compact 80's, so I may have no choice other than to stick with the compact 80's.

So, I will dive with a Pinnacle seal 3mm wet suit, it's 4-to-5 lbs buoyant. I'm going to order a Kydex backplate, size med. and a hog harness.

My question is about the wing. Obviously a Torus 38 is the logical choice, we discussed that over the phone.

If I have a doubles setup with the compact 80's, I'll be about 6-to-8 lbs. over weight with near empty tanks at the surface. I may have to go this route if I can't locate any normal aluminum 80's.

I currently dive an LCD 30 singles rig with a steel, medium plate which I love.
I'm not concerned at all about having a donut wing vs. a horseshoe. In fact, I'm glad I have a horseshoe wing. It's nice to have the option of being able to access the inner bladder for a quick and dirty aqua seal repair if I need to. It seems to me that the bottom of the wing is less likely to get pinched between the ground or deck and the tank(s) also.
30 lbs. of lift is more than I need for where I dive. The LCD 30 is so streamlined, and the center panel is so narrow, that I don't mind it being too much lift. With a nearly empty wing there is no real 'flapping' of the wing.
for surface swimming and shore diving, the extra lift is nice also.

All that being said....

In regards to trim, would there be a significant difference in trim between the compact 80 aluminum tanks and normal aluminum 80 tanks?

In comparing the Torus 38 wing and the LCD 50, they are both about equal in bias. Neither is shaped like the Torus 42, which is shaped to have more lift at the hips.

Do compact 80 doubles need a wing shape like the Torus 42? I'm guessing that they wouldn't.

If the compact doubles would use the same wing shape as regular aluminum 80's. How would an LCD 50 work for the configuration I'm looking to put together?

I realize it would be too big in terms of lift. But if the LCD50 is anything like the LCD 30 I dive in terms of being trim and streamlined once bolted up to the 7.25" diameter aluminum tanks, then I probably wouldn't be too worried.

Please read over this if you get a chance, your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tobin,

-Mitch

If I would like

Mitch,

You need more exposure suit, not a different wing. The T-38 is shaped fine for the C80's, and even with 2 x C80 your rig will only be about -22 with full tanks and -10 with empty bottles.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin,

I'm going to try and track down a couple of regular aluminum 80's, that would be the ideal setup. I'll see what I can dig up.

The water is 87 degrees here year round, my 3mm isn't really needed for those temps.

A torus 38 it is. That's what I was really trying to nail down.

Thanks for your time Tobin,

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom