Don't drink the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vesebr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This may sound dumb, but:

I'm going on my first trip to Coz in a week, and I know not to drink the water, but what happens when you are diving in it? Surely some will get into your mouth. Is the drinking water from the same source as the water we dive in?

Don't you think that it has to do with (fresh)tapwater:confused:

btw don't drink the seawater eighter.It's salt.:D

Sorry couldn't resist.

Most places that say don't drink the water mean just that but you can still rinse after brushing your teeth. If you are worried about it just buy bottled.

As 300 Bar pointed out, the water you will be diving is salt water...:D

Never had a problem using the tap water to brush my teeth, and BTW, all the ice in Mexico is produced at central plants using purified water so no worries there.

I'm going on my first trip to Coz in a week, and I know not to drink the water, but what happens when you are diving in it? Surely some will get into your mouth. Is the drinking water from the same source as the water we dive in?

The high salt content should kill any contaminants – feel free to drink it

Don't worry about it sounding dumb – there's no such thing as a dumb question – but you can stop testing that rule at any time!:D

Cheers

You will not have a problem getting sick from the water when you dive in it. Never a dumb question only if you don't ask!

The owner of the small resort we go to in Akumal told us not to brush our teeth with the water either. Better safe than sorry!

People seem to vary in their sensitivity to the tap water. I've made three trips to Mexico now, brushed my teeth in tap water, and eaten salads, and I have yet to have more than a few cramps. My husband has made three trips, and gotten miserably sick on two of them.

Sewage or other contaminants in the water supply are heavily diluted in salt water, which is why, in general, only fairly protected beaches have problems with bacterial load and water-borne illness.

Nothing like a bad case of Montezuma's Revenge....

Did you really just ask that question???? I mean no offense...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom