Donny Reid lecture tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dang Dale....that would have been fun to go to...but too far on short notice. But if you go make sure you introduce yourself to Andy Lamb...he is the gentleman with the beard pictured in the pdf and is the author of "Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest" and "Coastal Fishes". Very nice and interesting fellow. He and his business partner Peter Luckham run a very nice dive operation off Thetis Island.

I'm going to get him to sign the books I already have... would that be tacky? :eyebrow:

Knowing Andy...he'd be happy to. I think he would be thrilled that you bought them in the first place. :D

Have fun there.

it's too bad that Andy's fish book says how delicious everything is and the next book says how all those delicious fish are gone...

I find that a little odd too (as I personally have a strict "you don't eat me; I won't eat you" policy but I guess it reflects the shift over time from viewing sealife in terms of consumption to conservation. When reading the history of skindiving development in Europe I've noted several books describe the stripping of fish species from along the shores of France in the 30's and 40's.

The lecture was more interesting than I thought last night and I really enjoyed listening to Donny Reid. He has quite an interesting story of how he became involved in the project and said quite a few things I personally could connect with. Met up with Gabriel there (slamfire) and talked to a few other industry folks on the local scene.

Recently I was talking to Mark on the board about Fred Rogers and while talking last night at the UASBC table I saw his book "Historic Divers of British Columbia" so I bought it; signed by the man himself too! I also picked up another Rogest poster for my $5 donation to the DIABC.

there were about 8-10 display tables and a central silent auction table plus cocktails (you pay), free snacks and coffee. Not a bad evening all in all.

Displays:
Picture2002-11.jpg

Crowd:
Picture2004-15.jpg

Gabriel and I (I'm the good looking one) plus some guy who looks like he didn't like his croutons:
Picture2006-8.jpg

Freds book:
Picture2007-8.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom