Donning BC in the water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I’ve posted this issue on another board, but wanted to get some feedback on this board.

Other than my Open Water, Rescue classes and practice in shallow water, I have always put my BC, on before entering the water. This way my buddy and I could do a complete and thorough buddy check. We went down south where the dive boats were very small and we sometimes put our BCs on in the water and we did a buddy check. We did this because:

a) small dive boat (not much room to maneuver and check each other); and/or
b) rough water.

It was interesting, as I found it easier to don the equipment in the water, (although once I took out too much air and good thing I had a hold of the BC – it was heading down without me.) My wife and I could maneuver around each other easier to check weights, releases, etc. On the boat we couldn’t get to check each other out as we should have (we did another check once in the water.)

If we were putting the BC on in the water, we checked the air pressure, tank straps, weight pockets, items (camera, light) and breathed each reg to confirm operation and air quality. Then the boat crew would put them in the water for us. We only did this during the day – not night dives and not diving dry – 81 degree water. Didn’t do any shore dives.

Some of the drawbacks:

a) if you have a weight belt, you may sink or get exhausted keeping afloat while putting the BC on - we both have weight integrated BCs and wear 3mm wetsuits (couldn’t sink if we wanted to);
b) BC may sink if not enough air in bladder;
c) items not secured in pockets may fall out and sink;
d) BC may be carried away by a strong current or wind;
e) if you are not familiar with your buddy's equipment, you may miss a problem (we are very familiar with each other's equip); and
e) if there is a significant problem, you may have to get back on board to fix it.

Some advantages:

a) less chance of falling, or injuring yourself when moving around (while doing buddy check and going overboard);
b) easier to get into the BC and do adjustments;
c) may be easier to check your buddy – (easier to move around her/him and do the BWRAF); and
d) faster getting in and away from the commotion on a small boat (can concentrate on the checks).

We are heading down south again this winter and are curious of other diver’s thoughts, experiences, recommendations and tips.

I'll have to donn and doff my bcd on the surface (and at the bottom) on my next pool session.

I'm used to doffing my bcd at the surface since I can't climb out of the pool with that much weight on me and it's easy to do.

I'm looking forward to donning the bcd on the surface. This may (Depending on conditions.) work better for me than trying to donn my bcd on a boat with my buddy supporting all the weight.

I want to go with a weight integrated bcd and a weight belt.

What about putting the bcd on in the water before putting on the weight belt? It might take some practice but at least you'd know that the weight belt was clear of obstructions. I would be concerned about dropping the weight belt and loosing it.

Man do I have a lot to learn.

I like to put on my BC in the water, but even though I am a DM operations still don't want me to do it (alas). I don't like to float on the surface, so what I do is put my bc in the water, jump in, and don on the descent. PADI doesn't really like that, so if I am with students I have to do it the mechanical bull way.

brandon

I often do this when diving out of a small boat with a group of people. Here, one does have to check for kelp entanglement. I have a weight integrated bc, though, and I'm either diving dry or in a thick wetsuit, so sinking isn't an option. I put the pouches in on the boat - but the BC has more than enough lift as long as there is adequate air in it. I usually hang on to the regulator hose to make sure it doesn't get away before I get in the water. I wouldn't try this in a ripping current, of course. When I get out, I remove the weight pouches and put them on the deck, and if there is a light current, I use a line at the stern to secure the bc to the boat. I can then get aboard myself and haul the bc over the transom, tank side down for leverage.

In the pool, I always sink the gear first, then go down later and put it on. You should try this sometime, then do it while neutral.

When out diving in places like springs or quarries, I'll put it on in the water. Sometimes I'll cradle it under my arm and take it down with me to put on.

It's usually kind of rough when I go to the ocean so, I get geared up on the boat.

When out diving in places like springs or quarries, I'll put it on in the water. Sometimes I'll cradle it under my arm and take it down with me to put on.

I would have thought that would be pretty dangerous...

What if you get your octo stuck somewhere while you putting putting on the BC and need to give it to someone at the bottom?, or your weight belt get caught on something and you dont notice it until you need to ditch it and cant...

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

You are taking the p___ aren't you ? :confused:

Blues,
Dave

Note that I only do this in shallow areas where I have dove before...only in the quarry They are free of any type of entanglement hazards.

It is a legit skill, and fun to practice. It's a good composure builder. Try it in the pool fist though!

It has its advantages and disadvatages...mostly like what you mentioned. I think that it would depend on conditions more than anything else. I guess the final decider would be what is most comfortable to you.....

For me, I'm used to donning on the surface and wading in (mostly a quarry diver)...though there are times when I have floated my BC out and donned it there. I could see this being an issue in a high seas ocean....but it would be better than being on a boat with no maneuerability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom