Donator wreck fatality - Toulon, France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Var : un mort dans un accident de plongée au large de Toulon
Google translation...
The 50-year-old suffered a cardio-respiratory arrest during a dive on the wreck of the Donator, between the islands of Port-Cros and Porquerolles.

A 55-year-old man died at sea on Thursday off Toulon, France Bleu Provence reported Friday, October 9 . He was diving and suffered cardiac arrest.

Around 5.30 p.m. Thursday, the regional operational surveillance and rescue center in the Mediterranean was contacted "for a diving accident on the wreck of the Donator, located between the islands of Port-Cros and Porquerolles. After a 19-minute dive at 40 meters deep down, a man suffered a cardio-respiratory arrest. His team, made up of two other divers, assisted him in bringing him to the surface and began a cardiac massage " , relates the press release from the maritime prefecture. An army helicopter and two boats were dispatched to the scene, as well as the Smur.

Very nice wreck. RIP to the diver.

Sorry but that's so easy to say. You don't want to die doing a stupid hobby and his last moments were probably moments of shear agony and fear. :(

Sorry but that's so easy to say. You don't want to die doing a stupid hobby and his last moments were probably moments of shear agony and fear. :(
I understand, but I watched one parent die similarly from a cardiac event after they got back from a fun trip, the other die over years in nursing homes lingering much longer than he wanted but then there was nothing we could do to honor his requests. I'd prefer the fast exit when the time comes and only hope to minimize the negative effects on others.

Some of us have been to WAR Sir. I have the exact opposite feeling. I have never considered SCUBA as a Hobby and never it being stupid. I feel if I die doing what I love, then I'm doing it right. I guess some of us have a lot to live for. :76feet:

Some of us have been to WAR Sir. I have the exact opposite feeling. I have never considered SCUBA as a Hobby and never it being stupid. I feel if I die doing what I love, then I'm doing it right. I guess some of us have a lot to live for. :76feet:

Viper... you don't know me just like I don't know you. I've been diving since I'm 14 years old and around divers since I was a toddler, so diving IS MY LIFE. I've put lots and lots of effort, time, and money into this.

However when I look at priorities, first comes feeding my family, making sure there is a roof over our head, and that my son grows up into a somewhat balanced and empathic human being.

I don't know what your diving experience is, but I've come very very close to drowning during a wreck dive, I even posted about this on this board in 2007 or 8. I've also had to rescue a diver from a 90m wreck dive, doing all the decompression with him (2 hours +) while keeping him sandwhiched between me and another buddy. (by the way he survived the dive but as far as I know stopped diving). There are other occasions that I've seen (deco accidents, lost divers).

Of course I'm not going to be a couch potato, trying to avoid risks. Me and my girlfriend had some deep discussions on this when we were expecting our son, because she's a mountain climber and I'm a technical diver (both caves and deep wrecks), not the most risk free hobbies. But we decided not doing what you love is not living at all and that is the message we want to give to our son. I'll do my utmost to keep my diving (which is techical) as safe as possible, just as she does with climbing.

However I'm VERY sure, that the last thoughts on this unlucky victims mind where definitely not "oh I'm so lucky dying something I love to do" and I'm sure if I ever should die during a dive, I would like my loved ones to know that I probably/hopefully tried my best with my experience and training at hand to troubleshoot the issue and avoid the dying part, but that I was unsuccesful because I am human. But I wouldn't want them to think pink coloured sweet smelling happy thoughts about the dying/drowning/decoing part underwater. Because it simply isn't... it's a mess!

Cheers,

Viper... you don't know me just like I don't know you. I've been diving since I'm 14 years old and around divers since I was a toddler, so diving IS MY LIFE. I've put lots and lots of effort, time, and money into this.

However when I look at priorities, first comes feeding my family, making sure there is a roof over our head, and that my son grows up into a somewhat balanced and empathic human being.

I don't know what your diving experience is, but I've come very very close to drowning during a wreck dive, I even posted about this on this board in 2007 or 8. I've also had to rescue a diver from a 90m wreck dive, doing all the decompression with him (2 hours +) while keeping him sandwhiched between me and another buddy. (by the way he survived the dive but as far as I know stopped diving). There are other occasions that I've seen (deco accidents, lost divers).

Of course I'm not going to be a couch potato, trying to avoid risks. Me and my girlfriend had some deep discussions on this when we were expecting our son, because she's a mountain climber and I'm a technical diver (both caves and deep wrecks), not the most risk free hobbies. But we decided not doing what you love is not living at all and that is the message we want to give to our son. I'll do my utmost to keep my diving (which is techical) as safe as possible, just as she does with climbing.

However I'm VERY sure, that the last thoughts on this unlucky victims mind where definitely not "oh I'm so lucky dying something I love to do" and I'm sure if I ever should die during a dive, I would like my loved ones to know that I probably/hopefully tried my best with my experience and training at hand to troubleshoot the issue and avoid the dying part, but that I was unsuccesful because I am human. But I wouldn't want them to think pink coloured sweet smelling happy thoughts about the dying/drowning/decoing part underwater. Because it simply isn't... it's a mess!

Cheers,
Shall we agree to disagree.

Shall we agree to disagree.

I think you speak in slogans, but yes we can agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom