Don Foster's to close permanently

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad. I dove with them back in about 1983 or '84. Good operation back then. This closure will likely be one of many.

The economic consequences of this global shutdown I fear will be beyond comprehensible, particularly for the little guys. Just does not seem right.

Hi Murky,

Plus 1 on your post.

Economists estimate between 1,000 to 5,000+ deaths in the US for every percentage point of yearly unemployment. If the US unemployment rate hits depression status, that would be 30,000 to 150,000 additional deaths per year in the US.

If the US hits that level of unemployment, how badly will the rest of the world be suffering. A ruined economy costs lives.

There are no easy answers.

The little guys will take it in the shorts.

This closure will likely be one of many.

No doubt.

cheers,
m²v2

The economic consequences of this global shutdown I fear will be beyond comprehensible, particularly for the little guys. Just does not seem right.

The little guys always take it. Most of the current bailout money is going to the big guys too. What happens if you cannot afford to buy a congressman.

Sad news. I have not dived with them, but it’s sad to see any of our dive shops (or any of our local businesses for that matter) have to close.

my hope is that the local economy opens up in a few weeks. We’ll be planning to do more diving than usual and to spread it around more dive shops once things open up. Still, the island does not plan to open its borders until the end of the year at the earliest, so it’s going to be a rough patch for all the local businesses that rely on tourism. Hope they can hang in until then.

Sad news. I have not dived with them, but it’s sad to see any of our dive shops (or any of our local businesses for that matter) have to close.

my hope is that the local economy opens up in a few weeks. We’ll be planning to do more diving than usual and to spread it around more dive shops once things open up. Still, the island does not plan to open its borders until the end of the year at the earliest, so it’s going to be a rough patch for all the local businesses that rely on tourism. Hope they can hang in until then.
Wow - end of the year seems a little crazy?

In a vacation destination like GC, I would imagine that most small businesses will not be able to survive that long without tourism dollars? Even if they reopen for local business, do you think they can survive for that long?

Many centers are taking massive hits. I believe we will see the closure of an insane amount of dive centers as this progresses.

The dive centers were not making money hand over fist normally, now with no diving or gear sales (unless they have an online presence) they will need to shift gears in order to pay the bills.

I have already seen some operations start online sales when they did not offer that before.

This is sad for the world and for the diving industry.

Very sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom