Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Guys,
The resorts in DR that our timeshare exchange company have that seem most highly rated are: Grand Oasis Marien, Caribe Coral (formerly Hilton), EMI Sun Village and Oasis Canoa Coral. Are any of these much nicer than the rest, or all pretty much comparable? Are all of them pretty easy access to the good dive sites? Thanks for your suggestions and any pros and cons!

Oasis Marien is close to Puerto Plata, on the norths coast - I don't know how is diving close to the resort, but most of diver go to Sosua, about 20 minutes drive. The dive sites are OK but sometimes the diving conditions are not the greatest. Caribe Coral is in close to Juan Dolio on the south coast, the visibility there is not too good, the waters it murky all the time. Oasis Canoa is in Dominicus, the diving conditions and the dives sites are the best from all three. Our shop is about 5 minute drive from there.

Hi all,
My husband and I will be headed to Punta Cana in early May. He's already a diver, and I will be completing my PADI Openwater (I have the class and pool work done, just need to complete my 4 open water dives). I know that Punta Cana isn't great diving, but we really planned the trip before we decided to get me certified and dive, so its where we'll be.

Do you have any recomendations for PADI shops in Punta Cana? Our hotel has a Dive It! Diving Centre by GNC. I can't seem to find any information about them (in English at least) and they never responded to e-mail. I know that Dressel has a great reputation - they quickly responded to my e-mails and they're only a 15 minute beach walk from our hotel.

Do folks recommend going with Dressel, is Dive It! More impressive than they seem online, or is there another shop that I should consider?

Thanks for helping out a newb.
Hi Maven - I have been diving with Dressel in Punta Cana for years. I actually completed my OW cert there a few years ago since we always stay at Iberostar. They are very safe but fun. I highly recommend this group and location. The dives are chill but will be a lot of fun for a newb! My wife and I are headed back down to the DR for 10 days on June 30. When are you headed down. Have a great trip!

Some friends and I are going the end of June through July 10. we're staying at the Moon Palace Resort. I've also heard diving is better in Bayahibe. Is that location a challenge to get to from the Moon Palace?

Moon Palace is in Punta Cana, about hour and half drive from Bayahibe. Diving around Punta Cana / Bavaro area is not as good, it's on the Atlantic side, so the diving conditions might be a bit rough sometimes. The dive sites are probably good for new divers, but not as exciting for experienced divers.
I don't know how many people are in you group, the taxi costs between 150 - 180 USD per return trip for up to 5 people, but the driver would wait for you till you are done with diving. If you want to do few days of diving and don't want to travel to Bayahibe every day, book a at least a day trip with diving to see the Caribbean side.

I've heard from Pelicanos dive op in Punta Cana. They will take some trips to Bayahibe. How do they rate as a dive op?

Most resorts have their own sport center with diving and they all do day trips to Bayahibe if the conditions are bad in Punta Cana area. I don't know much about Pelicanos, so I cannot tell you if it is a good dive shop. The only one I can recommend in that area is Dressel divers based in Iberostar Resort.

Thanks, I sent Dressel an inquiry. I'm seriously thinking of renting a car and making the drive. Are there any issues with hostile locals that make that a bad choice? If not, we may be diving with you guys--the reviews on your op are impressive. Also, the day trip to Catalina sounds great for the non-divers, as well. We really want to see the caverns--Padre Nuestra and La Sirena. I have more than a dozen dives in Mexican cenotes and I'm hooked. We also enjoy wrecks, deep diving and night diving. What are your recommended sites for this adventurous group?

The locals are no problem at all, they are very friendly, except their driving skills are very different from ours. So the one who is bigger or who's car is worse goes first, ignoring red lights sometimes too. So you have to be very careful when you drive. But if you have been driving in Mexico or any country like this, you should be fine. Catalina is nice, but for experienced divers is not that exciting, plus most of the time very very busy - all dive shops go there. We like to take our clients to dive sites that are not too busy. Send email to info@divingdominicanrepublic.com and my wife will give you more info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom