Dominican Republic - Unexplored?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpodos

Contributor
Reaction score
I started writing this in the "Punta Cana... depressing" thread, but thought it might better stand alone.

On a related note, I just got back from Sosua, which is on the north coast near Puerta Plata, so a totally different thing... but bear with me!! :)

I got pretty friendly with some of the DMs up there, and got the low-down.

Basically all of the diving near any of the main tourist areas sucks. Where I was would be considered the best of the lot, and believe me, nothing special.

BUT, it seems that the DR may have some hidden gems.

To the NE, there is Samana, which is humpback whale territory in the winter. Enough siad. :) No, actually, there is a bit more... there is a *reason* that humpbacks spawn at the Silver Banks, and even visit the coast: FOOD. And other pelagics know it too. So, you need a kick-*ss boat, but if you go 20 miles or so due north, there is evidently awesome open ocean diving year round.

To the NW, you gotta get near Haiti, which is a bit scary, but there is evidently a gorgeous bay with (I think) seven coral islands that are supposed to be beautiful both above and below the water.

And finally, this one DM *raved* about southwest coast diving. It's basically virgin. Really. For a couple hundred miles. As in no one lives there. So that means no fishing either. On the other hand, there are basically no hotels. But there are pirates and bandits; again, you are near Haiti. From what I gathered, this is either liveaboard territory, or caravan with guards (I'm not kidding). But, just maybe, there's some fantastic diving there that no one really know about.

We had some beers with some other dive folks on my last night (errr, that was last night), and speculated... one DM even went and got a depth chart to help us think it through.

PR, DR (Hispaniola, technically), and Cuba are basically the entry point for north Atlantic waters into the Carib... and DR is in the MIDDLE!! And, being the second largest island after Cuba, with the highest mountain and likely the most diverse biosphere, it's a fantastic food source.

OK, maybe we had too many Presidentes, but I am betting that the DR has a lot more going for it in terms of diving than anyone knows (yet).

On a separate note, where I was in the North Coast was very cool. I don;t like the big resorts, nor the resort communities... Sosua and Cabarete have a good local scene, restaurants, bars, activities (kitesurfing rocks!), etc. Safe, good attitude, you name it. Still inexpensive. Definitely going back.

Interesting.

The humpback whales would be very cool to see. As well as the seven coral islands.

Back in the day, did anyone ever dive Hati, before they closed it to tourism? How was it? (the diving - not Hati)

In the other post about Dom. R, someone mentioned not very many Americans at the resorts. I can tell you that on the flights I've worked, going to the Dom. R, from Chicago, 80% of the people on my flights are Russian & choose not to speak english. They can speak it very well & can understand it perfectly. Maybe they feel safer abroad not being "Americans". More than likely, I think they are just more comfortable speaking in their native language.

With all the awesome places to visit in the Caribbean, Haiti and the Dominican Republic are pretty low on the list.
Before Haiti became totally ruined, there was a resort there, Le Trianon, that was considered to be the most luxurious resort in the world. Even then though, Haiti under Papa Doc was no picnic.
Historical fact is that President Grant considered pushing for statehood for the Dominican Republic during his tenure since it was such an important coaling station for US warships in the area.
The idea of US citizenship for the population there did not go far with the Congress.

Download the FREE movie about the ADM Domincan Republic expedition at

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com/Video/Videos.asp

You will need to install Quicktime 7.0 to veiw the video.

rpodos:
I started writing this in the "Punta Cana... depressing" thread, but thought it might better stand alone.

On a related note, I just got back from Sosua, which is on the north coast near Puerta Plata, so a totally different thing... but bear with me!! :)

I got pretty friendly with some of the DMs up there, and got the low-down.

Basically all of the diving near any of the main tourist areas sucks. Where I was would be considered the best of the lot, and believe me, nothing special.

BUT, it seems that the DR may have some hidden gems.

To the NE, there is Samana, which is humpback whale territory in the winter. Enough siad. :) No, actually, there is a bit more... there is a *reason* that humpbacks spawn at the Silver Banks, and even visit the coast: FOOD. And other pelagics know it too. So, you need a kick-*ss boat, but if you go 20 miles or so due north, there is evidently awesome open ocean diving year round.

To the NW, you gotta get near Haiti, which is a bit scary, but there is evidently a gorgeous bay with (I think) seven coral islands that are supposed to be beautiful both above and below the water.

And finally, this one DM *raved* about southwest coast diving. It's basically virgin. Really. For a couple hundred miles. As in no one lives there. So that means no fishing either. On the other hand, there are basically no hotels. But there are pirates and bandits; again, you are near Haiti. From what I gathered, this is either liveaboard territory, or caravan with guards (I'm not kidding). But, just maybe, there's some fantastic diving there that no one really know about.

We had some beers with some other dive folks on my last night (errr, that was last night), and speculated... one DM even went and got a depth chart to help us think it through.

PR, DR (Hispaniola, technically), and Cuba are basically the entry point for north Atlantic waters into the Carib... and DR is in the MIDDLE!! And, being the second largest island after Cuba, with the highest mountain and likely the most diverse biosphere, it's a fantastic food source.

OK, maybe we had too many Presidentes, but I am betting that the DR has a lot more going for it in terms of diving than anyone knows (yet).

On a separate note, where I was in the North Coast was very cool. I don;t like the big resorts, nor the resort communities... Sosua and Cabarete have a good local scene, restaurants, bars, activities (kitesurfing rocks!), etc. Safe, good attitude, you name it. Still inexpensive. Definitely going back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom