Dominican Republic North Coast Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boaterblue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Thought I'd post a few notes regarding my dives this week with Dressel Divers out of Puerto Plata on the central North coast of the Dominican Republic. Went out with just four divers and two divemasters on a pontoon style boat, not too far from dive shop. Fairly near the Airport Wall area. It was about what I expected, so-so visibility, coral not in very good condition, not tons of fish. Some interesting terrain, underwater ravines, mini-walls, a swim through. We did see several trumpetfish and some neat looking puffers. The divemasters were professional, helpful, spoke three languages fluently. Not much at all in the way of a safety lecture, nor evidence of safety equipment. They were fairly helpful with a young man who was a newbie and had equipment and equalization problems. Cool boat ride with island music and room drinks after diving. My goal was just to do a two tank dive to keep up my skills, and to see what the North coast looked like. My husband and I live on our sailboat and are in the DR for several months. I had considered doing a multiday package at the hotel, but opted to spend my money with Scubafun in the south DR after the first of the year. Was glad I did it that way

What did you stay in topside and did you engage in any topside enjoyments? What did you think of your resort/room and the topside area?

If you spend several months in the Dominican Republic, it must appeal to you vs. other destinations. Is it a more practical place to keep/maintain a sailboat? What appears to you strongly about DR?

Richard.

We are staying on our sailboat in Luperon, DR for the hurricane season. Considered to be one of the best hurricane hidey-holes in the Carribean. We did this as a day trip, so didn't stay at a hotel. I would not have gone diving in this area except I happened to be here. We did seriously consider staying at the Iberostar (dive shop is located there) or its neighboring Be Live Marien. Both all inclusive resorts. There are several very interesting things to do in Puerto Plata: cable car up mountain to botanical gardens, chocolate factory, amber museum, a waterfall swimming tour. However, the best diving in the DR is supposed to be in the southern part of the country. I'm saving the "big bucks" to dive down south with Scubafun out of Bayahibe in a couple months. We will continue our journey south to Puerto Rico and the Lesser Antilles soon. Hope to spend next hurricane season diving Bonaire. On a final note, we dove the Turks & Caicos this summer, and it just doesn't get any better than that. Contact Caicos Adventures (5 star), or Provo Turtle Divers they're.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom