Dominica Update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackD342

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have anything first hand to share regarding the status of Dominica?
So far I know that Buddy Dive does not plan to rebuild at Fort Young, and that Dive Dominica seems to be operational, but Castle Comfort Lodge does not. There is now a "Fort Young Dive" brand, that seems to say they are partnering with Dive Dominica, but a reliable source says that relationship may not be as firm as it sounds.

So -
  1. Has anyone been there lately?
  2. How was the diving, especially if you have been there before and can provide a comparison?
  3. If at Fort Young, who was the dive operator? And are they using the facilities Buddy Dive built there, or just picking up?
  4. Any word on the rest of the island? Is nature on The Nature Island bouncing back yet? Or does the rainforest need another year of R&R for adventurers to not feel cheated?
  5. Anything else to share, add, or confirm?

I will be there next month (11/18-24) for a sperm whale snorkeling trip, so while I won't be able to speak to the diving, I can at least report back on the island itself.

I will be there next month (11/18-24) for a sperm whale snorkeling trip, so while I won't be able to speak to the diving, I can at least report back on the island itself.
Cool, thanks. I look forward to hearing. Have you been there before to compare?

Dominica still seems to be in rough shape. All the trees had no canopy. A lot of homes and businesses along the water in Roseau seemed either permanently destroyed and/or not reopening anytime soon. It seemed very quiet when I was there.

I stopped by Castle Comfort, it had a few rooms open for rent but still doing work.

I can't speak to the diving.

Back
Top Bottom