Dominica-Castle Comfort Reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2006GTDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm getting ready to head to Dominica in Mid-Oct. Staying at Castle Comfort... I've been reading a lot on the rude service (mostly waitstaff) and poor food quality:shakehead as of late. Has anyone been there lately that can comment on this or anything else at the hotel or surrounding area?

Thanks in advance!

We visited Dominica in July, but stayed at Fort Young.
We dove with CC operation & were pleased with them.
Crews were prepared, safety minded & fun to be around.
We found limited choices for eating compared to our other trips.
Did hear some complaints on boat @ accomadations at CC, no specifics.
Have heard good things @ Green Flash which is closer to CC than FY.
The worst part of out trip was the travel to and from Dominica.
Our flights left no extra time for plane connections.
Everything was rushed and a hassle!

Was in Dominica late July/early Aug. Stayed at Anchorage. We had heard mixed reports and were prepared to move if necessary. Castle Comfort, Evergreen (no dive operation) and Anchorage are next door to one another.

Castle Comfort evening meal is a set - we went and had a look at it and didn't fancy it because there was no choice.

We did bed and breakfast at Anchorage and the breakfasts were fine with plenty of choice although you did have to ask for some things. The banana bread and coconut bread are super but you have to keep asking. Just because you ask one day for co. bread doesn't mean to say that they will tell you that it is "on" the next day. Service was a little reticent but if you smile and give them a big Good Morning and clear thank yous they loosen up. I think they are really quite shy. Evening menu at Anchorage is limited but there is a choice and the timing is flexible.

Dining room at Evergreen is lovely, view over water, and snack menu is served til 6.30 pm and has a good choice. Recommend an early evening meal and take advantage of this. Watch out for turtle swimming past.

Green Flash is great and open late - you can walk it from Castle Comfort and live music Thursdays. They are closed one day a week - not sure maybe Monday. Watch out for eagle ray coming in close and waving wings out of water. Quite a few of us at Anchorage went up to GF nearly every night and there were "regulars" there from Castle Comfort too. You are "recognised" and made to feel welcome. They bother to remember your drink and food preferences. Veggies are well catered for. And the prices are competitive, if not better.

Buses up to Green Flash (2 mins on the bus) or into town (5 mins) go past the door of Castle Comfort - so don't worry about eating in at CC - get out and about in the evening and have some fun.

Diving - I know the shore dive looks like boulders and urchins. But get in there it is amazing - see my previous post. I don't think many people actually dive it because all the fish and stuff are so laid back and big.

So - no need to worry about food. If the diving doesn't suit it would be easy to go to Anchorage or arrange to go down to Souffriere to Nature Island Dive who have had some excellent reviews.

Thanks to both of you for the info. Good info!

I heard the dive opperation was pretty good. It was more the staff and food at the hotel that was the concern. Castle Comfort has a meal plan which, I'm glad we did go for. We like to explore and try different places anyways. We did go with the breakfast plan. Since we leave from there for our morning dives, that made sense.

We stayed at castle comfort im May of this year and the serviceat the hotel, restauraunt, dive shop and bar staff, were great. We had a great time and make sure you check out castaway beach (blacks beach) unspolied and a neat getaway for a day trip. Make sure you hire a taxi to dop you off and pick you up.

scubanatic:
We stayed at castle comfort im May of this year and the serviceat the hotel, restauraunt, dive shop and bar staff, were great. We had a great time and make sure you check out castaway beach (blacks beach) unspolied and a neat getaway for a day trip. Make sure you hire a taxi to dop you off and pick you up.

Good to hear. Thanks for the reply.

Pls be sure to post after your trip! I want to plan a trip to Dominica soon...possibly late this year or early next year but enjoy staying in more unique places as opposed to luxury places. I'd love to hear how your experience was...and any unspoiled getaway tips....are MUCH appreciated!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom