Dominica and Antigua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim-O

Registered
Reaction score
Going to split a vacation in Nov/Dec between Dominica and Antigua. We will be heading to Dominica first, and stopping for a 4 or 5 days in Antigua on the way home. ( I know Antigua is not a dive destination... but I am land locked many months of the year... so I will take what I can get).

Anyone that has been - can you recommend who to dive with?

I have searched a bunch and read lots of the reviews - but not finding much detail with the ops - the reviews are usually just "I dove with so and so" type. I am also finding that many of the "recommended ops" can't be found on facebook or a website - so I am not sure all the info I am finding is current.

We like small ops, and avoid cattle boats at all cost. We don't take life to serious and while we won't do anything crazy or unsafe - we expect to have fun and be with a fun op. One that will cut up and carry on a little and will take us to the best sites... not that closest ones.

Any other recommendations on things to do or not to do on either island will be appreciated!

I only snorkeled when I was on Dominica. I loved the island & people. Ton's of surface interval things to do (jungle, waterfalls, hiking, rivers). Best grapefruit I ever tasted. They have the longest running caribbean dive fest so I would bet you can find a dive op to suit your taste. I'd ask the place where you are staying. When I was at Picard Beach Resort they had a pretty complete list of guides and ops for almost anything.

It depends on where you are staying. I can recommend two operators, one mid island near Salisbury, East Carib Dive Center, and AL Divers in Loubiere, a few minutes south of Roseau. Both are very professional operations with excellent equipment, but not too overcrowded. Very relaxed diving, except on the days the damned cruise ships come in. Then it's best to stay away. Cabrits Dive shop up in the north end of the island near Ross medical school is supposed to be ok, but I've never dived with them. The last time I was there they had a small retail operation where some limited equipment can be purchased. Don't miss the open air food market just a few hundred yards away.

I'll be going back for most of April in a few months. I rent a private house and a jeep, and do some diving but much more exploration of the rain forest, incomparable in the Caribbean. And the rivers!

Be careful on the Atlantic side. Very strong currents.

Much thanks to each of you.
I think we are staying South of Roseau, so I will shoot AL Divers an email Agilis.
I have read several of your posts Agilis, and realize you know the island well, is there anything we should make time to see above or below the waterline? Not looking for the tourist book sites, but the true gems of the island.

Antigua has some great dive sites. I lived there for 5 years running a dive shop. You want to stay down South near English Harbour. Contact Shawn Clarke at Soul Immersions. He is a great guy, local and been diving the area for years. Ask him to take you to
1) Sunken Rock
2) Rendevoux Bay
3) Red Rocks
4) Nanton Point.
You will have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom