Dome ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone have a good link to some information on dome port physics?

Awesome link but I'm looking for more nerd stuff (math)... Basically I'm designing a housing prototype for the canon GL2 (because quality housings are few and far between). Gate's makes one but it costs over $5k. So I'm working out a more affordable housing to offer an alternative. I have access to vacuum formed polycarbonate plastics; so I just want to check and double check what would be the best size and placement of the dome in relation to the lens. In my design the dome will be integrated with the housing itself, making it a one piece piece design (outside the back end which will come off in order to let the camera in ...of course.)

From my understanding, the underlyling fact is that the bigger the dome the less focus loss there is around the edges of the image. I kinda want to go with a 5" but I've heard that they shouldn't be less than 6" otherwise you'll have to use a diopter to compromise. Also I'm wondering how the thickness of the plastic itself affects the light.

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks...

Now I get to make sense of all this. yay!

Larger dome diameters are better, but another important factor is matching the Dome to the lens. this is done by changing the distance the face of the dome is from the focal plane to match the lens's nodal point. therefore if the dome is integrated into the housing would limit it to be matched to only one lens.

Back
Top Bottom