Dome port extension

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeolus

Reaction score
I have an Olympus E-volt 510 with an Ikelite housing (21730) with the 6" dome port. Is there an extension piece that could be inserted netween the dome port and the housing, such that I could use my larger lens (40-150mm)? Thanks.

I don't see that lens listed on the port chart.

Olympus SLR Port Chart

If you had the modular port system you could combine several adapters and make something that would house it but don't know if it would work. What is the min focus distance on that lens?

MODULAR PORT SYSTEM

I have an Olympus E-volt 510 with an Ikelite housing (21730) with the 6" dome port. Is there an extension piece that could be inserted netween the dome port and the housing, such that I could use my larger lens (40-150mm)? Thanks.

No, there is no extension - That's a fixed length "standard port".

Olympus SLR Port Chart

It's a long shot, but you may have two choices:

either get a longer 6 inch standard dome port (I doubt there is one, it's so long and it's not listed in the port chart so measure it extended and compare with say a long lens for Nikon or Canon, cuz there is nada in the Olympus port chart),

or, switch to the modular port system with an 8 inch dome and a long extension for the lens. Measure it extended and buy the modular port for that length.

It seems like this is not a great candidate lens for fitting into an existing port. A port long enough for 150mm will vignette at 40. Just too long. But check...

Aeolus,

Slowhands answered your question well. The 6" standard domes are made with molded pieces that are bonded together at the factory to make a specific length port size which cannot be modified. The 8" modular dome accommodates machined threaded extensions that can be added to or subtracted from the 8" dome base.
Your 40-150mm lens has a narrow angle of view and is best suited for land use.

Regards,

Thanks for the responses. I guess that I will just stick with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom