Dolphin Sighting - Invisibles Dive Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soloist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yesterday we finally saw dolphins in Bonaire after a scant eight years, fourteen trips and three hundred dives down here. We were exploring the outer reef around 80 feet just south of Invisibles when suddenly a pod of seven dolphins appeared. They were swimming south with a “porpoise”, so sadly they disappeared as quickly as they arrived. We were both completely stunned, but fortunately I managed to turn the camera on before they were gone.

F421EB9D-79EA-4616-BC9F-AC31B2BCE475.jpeg

Attachments

• C8BB20FB-D9B8-4607-B041-C6651266540F.jpeg
    C8BB20FB-D9B8-4607-B041-C6651266540F.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 22D14EE9-AF5B-4C3A-BEF2-1B3C4327112E.jpeg
    22D14EE9-AF5B-4C3A-BEF2-1B3C4327112E.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 162
As rare as a UFO sighting! Good for you!

What a great experience to have had. I hate it when a SBer posts something remarkable like this and then someone like Dan above tries to one up the OP.

Soloist, you are incredibly fortunate to have had this interaction and to have been able to film the encounter.

What a great experience to have had. I hate it when a SBer posts something remarkable like this and then someone like Dan above tries to one up the OP.

Soloist, you are incredibly fortunate to have had this interaction and to have been able to film the encounter.

I should have put more text in my post. That is a great experience indeed. I dove in many places, including Bonaire, logged 830 dives in 15 years of diving, have never been lucky to see dolphin underwater until I went to Socorro. I mostly saw dolphin when I was on a boat like when I was in Alor, Indonesia.

Bottlenose dolphins in Socorro are not skittish. They like to play with divers. They would swim vertically near us, as if imitating us, as you see in my video. The odds to see them there underwater are very good. That's why I recommend divers, who have never been lucky to see them underwater in the wild, to go to Socorro.

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom