Dollars or Pesos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Driznik

Contributor
Reaction score
In Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, aside from the dive shops - which all seem to price in US$, for meals, cabs, ferries, etc. should I carry pesos or US$?

I was surprised when I was in San Andres in December that virtually everywhere we went preferred the Colombian Peso to US dollars.

Thanks,

D

Driznik:
In Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, aside from the dive shops - which all seem to price in US$, for meals, cabs, ferries, etc. should I carry pesos or US$?

I was surprised when I was in San Andres in December that virtually everywhere we went preferred the Colombian Peso to US dollars.

Thanks,

D

We were in PDC/Tulum/Xcalak in early Nov. We were amazed how few places accepted credit cards. Seemed to like PayPal and cash.

Seemed to me if something is quoted in Pesos and you hand them dollars then you are at their mercy as to what exchange rate you get. On the street, 10 to 1 was very common, while at the moment it is really 11.21 or so from a bank. 10 % diff.

Here's a currency converter...

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency

I always take a couple hundred US with me from home, then use my Cash Card to get Pesos when I'm in Playa and pay with cash (Pesos). I just keep my Credit Card for emergency. You should end up with about the best exchange rate you will see doing it this way. Plus you avoid the surcharge the credit card companies tack on for using their card out of the states. You also minimize the chance of having your credit card cloned. Been there done that! :(

Frank

After 3 trips to the Playa area we have come to realize that pescos is the best way. This is due to the exchange rate. The shops etc are more than glad to take american but they decide what exchange rate to give you. The small places tend to be 10:1 which is in their favour...not yours. I dont like carrying cash but credit cards are charged a 10% surcharge so be aware that it can get expensive. Banks are 11:1 (roughly)

Kaz

FrankT:
I always take a couple hundred US with me from home, then use my Cash Card to get Pesos when I'm in Playa and pay with cash (Pesos). I just keep my Credit Card for emergency. You should end up with about the best exchange rate you will see doing it this way. Plus you avoid the surcharge the credit card companies tack on for using their card out of the states. You also minimize the chance of having your credit card cloned. Been there done that! :(

Frank

Pesos from ATM's is the only way to go. Especially if you get away form the tourist areas.

Dave

Thanks.

The dive shops I'm dealing with all quote in US$, so I'll take a couple hundred US to cover the diving and go with pesos from the ATM for meals, souveniers, cab fares, etc.

I've used European ATM's, but I've always taken enough cash to get me through all the Mexican & Central American trips I've taken. No problem drawing on US or Canadian banks from there?

Driznik:
Thanks.

The dive shops I'm dealing with all quote in US$, so I'll take a couple hundred US to cover the diving and go with pesos from the ATM for meals, souveniers, cab fares, etc.

I've used European ATM's, but I've always taken enough cash to get me through all the Mexican & Central American trips I've taken. No problem drawing on US or Canadian banks from there?

ATM's work very well, at least on US banks. No experiance on Canadian Banks.

Dave

I agree with others here. We carry some cash, and our first stop is always at an ATM for pesos. Funny about some of the places in Cozumel is that if you give them dollars they try and give change in pesos, if you give pesos, they try to give change in dollars. Some places are alwayts trying to rip you off on the exchange rate. That's why I think it best to use pesos and get change and pesos and forget about the almighty dollar until we get home.

They are more than welcome to take the tourist American dollars. Every shop will exchange it, but at "their rates".

Also, be careful as they'll most of the time give you cash in Pesos if you pay with US dollars. This is the norm there. Also the "norm" is for them not to give you the right amount of change back. I've had this happen more times than not. Especially at restaruants when they bring your check/change back. Whip out a small pocket calculator and they'll come over quickly and say they "brought you the wrong bill bacK" and bring you the "right" one with the correct change. So here they are trying to "SCREW" you right in front of you. I've seen this happen several times, mostly at resturants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom