Doing the bag drag alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I went to Coz last year with some friends for the first time. From South FL , its much cheaper (and in many cases time effective) to fly into Cancun and do the bag drag. Last year we had a private van meet us at the airport and at the ferry for the CUN airport transfers. This year I am traveling alone so I'd opt for the bus to save money. Is the cancun to playa del carmen bus "safe" ? Is there room for my big bags full of dive gear? Last, could someone point me to an up to date schedule for the bus?? I tried going to the Ado site but its all spanish and gives me an error when I try to search. Thanks!

No worries about taking the bus no chickens or riding with goats...they are very nice with a/c, comfy seats, and plenty of room for stowing your gear. the bus usually runs every hour.

Hey Aces, I'm an, um... "mature-ish" woman, and I've done the bag drag alone a few times. It's actually pretty easy, check out the the link, it's got everything you need. :)

as you exit the terminal you will be hawked by people selling things. since you are going from south fl i am guessing you will be on jetblu? if so you will be at terminal 2. just ignore the people selling rides, timeshares etc and take a right as you exit the terminal.
after you have walked a little away from the crowd someone may ask if they can help with your luggage. i would accept and then tip a couple dollars. you can buy your ticket at the bus. your large luggage will be stowed in a compartment under the bus and taken out when you arrive in playa.
when you exit the terminal in playa, there will be some guys with tricycles. they will take your luggage down to the ferry for whatever you want to give them.
same when you arrive on coz. i always stay downtown and let the tricycle guy take my luggage to the casa mex. if you are exhauasted they will even fashion a seat on the tricycle and ride you to your destination.

Ditto on whether or not I felt "safe", single female traveler and I just did the bus/ferry solo in January. The website Ron put together was perfect, got me to the bus in Cancun and ferry in Playa. It was a nice ride, reminded me of charter buses here in the US. Storing dive gear underneath isn't a problem.

Did this solo as a middle aged single female... Bus is nice and airconditioned. Definately have the tricycle guy help you with you bags at PDC as he will bring you straight to the ticket counter and even to the bag check in for the ferry.

Hmmm, maybe us female, middle aged, solo divers need to unite? Plan a trip, turn the Cancun-Playa bus into a paaar-tay bus, charter an all-star, all-girl boat, and generally do Coz up right. Of course, after our vacation we could get down to the real plan and take over the world :wink:

What's the total travel time from Cozumel to CUN?

Back
Top Bottom