Does water inside SPG / AI cause damage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When changing tanks between dives with wet gear, do the small amounts of water dripping into the 1st stage tank air port, and pushed in during each dive, eventually cause internal corrosion damage to the SPG or air integrated pressure sensor?

The AI sensor is protected against water intrusion the SPG is not. The bigger concern with water intrusion would be the first stage.

When changing tanks between dives with wet gear, do the small amounts of water dripping into the 1st stage tank air port, and pushed in during each dive, eventually cause internal corrosion damage to the SPG or air integrated pressure sensor?
Interesting question. I claim it assumes negligent gear treatment.

I am curious: Why does the OP believe that it is normal to drip water into the first stage between dives? Have they seen "full service valet" operations doing this? Why are they asking this question?

If you are diving salt water, then "eventually" your reg will get screwed up "somewhere" if you continue to inject salt water into the first stage.

Early in my dive life I got spanked by my LDS because the inlet filter of my reg had turned green. I had no explanation other than "the valet guys did it".

Sacred Silly: Why do you think AI sensors are protected?

Unless you are blotting the exterior of the tank valve and 1st stage dry with a towel between dives, there is going to be a very small amount of water clinging to the metal on the outside when the two are disconnected, and some of that moisture is going to work its way into the air passageway. It seems basically unavoidable to get tiny amounts of water inside the 1st stage.

Sacred Silly: Why do you think AI sensors are protected?

Sometime ago I had a conversation with UWATEC about it. It has been a while but there is an impermeable membrane in there. Think about a diaphragm and how it is environmentally sealed basically the same idea.

Sometime ago I had a conversation with UWATEC about it. It has been a while but there is an impermeable membrane in there. Think about a diaphragm and how it is environmentally sealed basically the same idea.
this is certainly true for the oil filled uwatec dive computers.

i did not realize the transmitter was also oil filled.

this is certainly true for the oil filled uwatec dive computers.

i did not realize the transmitter was also oil filled.

An AI transmitter is not oil filled nor are most dive computers (UWATEC being the exception). My comment was to note that there is a membrane between the pressure transducer and the outside environment just like with a sealed diaphragm reg there is a membrane between the oil in the chamber and the outside water. The membrane allows the pressure to transmitted to the transducer but does not expose it to the outside environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom