does this exist and where in thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

holdingmybreath

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello thailand folks!! My wife and I are planning a winter get away from cold and snow and looking closely at thailand. We would be traveling in January.

I've searched the threads here to find out about shore snorkeling/freediving but am not seeing much info and that is what we really like to do.

We travel light, meaning we're a bit of the backpacker types.. would not mind being pretty remote..don't need a place to rent equipment as we'll bring our own (a nice island perhaps, a small town/village to base out of??).

The type of accomodations available we could care less about, in fact, if I can pitch the tent, that's good, but basic bungalows and better are more preferred for by my wife.. She doesn't mind the fancy, but I suffocate!! We would maybe keep the tenting for the nat'l parks while inland.

So, can anyone share with me, where is the good shore snorkeling, quiet and maybe off the beaten path places to go.

If you've got ideas for us, we're all ears.
cheers all!

*bump*

Hummm..no replies, I was looking for this information myself. Although I'm planning a diving trip, just chilling out in a location with good shore snorkeling is part of the bigger picture too. Same same with the basic accommodation I hate AC and don't really care about hot water.

Offhand, I cant really recall any places that are good for offshore snorkeling.
Although, if youre looking for something basic- with camping opportunities, why dont you head over to Tonsai beach, close to Railay?

One of my favourite places to go- rock climbing, caving, kayaking, diving- i think its probably one of the most "basic" places still left on the tourist trail. Although not really legit camping, Ive seen tents there from time to time. It has a different feel to it, not the typical flashpacker/package tourist/party animal place that other areas have become.

I have lived, and worked on and off for years, on Koh Phangan. It's a beautiful island in the Gulf of Thailand. If you go there, try the north, or northwest part of the island. I love Chaloklum Village, and Mae Haad Beach. My favorite place to stay is Wang Sai Resort. There is a very nice reef right off the beach. My good friends Nick and Michael own Chaloklum Diving, with shop at Wang Sai Resort, and in Chaloklum Village. There are some surprisingly good restaurants in Chaloklum Village. The whole place is just ridiculously chill, beautiful, and inexpensive.

Camping and great snorkeling/free-diving is available in both the Similan Islands and Surin Islands.

Ah yeah!
How could I forget that?
Really beautiful there. Pretty darn secluded too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom