Does the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II actually have a decent discrimination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stryder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey guys, a newbie here, and I've been looking at the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II but I can't find any videos of anyone who seems to know how to use the discrimination adjustments for it. Does anyone have any experience using it that actually knows how to use the disc. knobs?
I'm trying to find out if the discrimination mode is as good as it sounds!
Thanks, BK

***Edited***
So it looks like I will have to choose either diving or beach hunting since I am only going to buy 1 unit, and since I'll be doing more beach than diving I'll stick with it. Some have mentioned the Nox 800 or 600. Let me know what you guys think of these, especially the 600 as I am trying to keep the cost down for my first purchase.
I appreciate the input!
B K

I have one, but I also fall in the "doesn't know enough to properly use discrimination " category.

Don't know where you are in FL, but I'm near tampa. Feel free to stop by and try it. And teach me how to use it :^)

The Seahunter II is a PI detector...pulse induction. In other words....it hits on EVERYTHING that produces a signal. It does not have the ability to "discriminate" based on what type of metal it's detecting. It does ...allow you to "adjust" for salt water induced false signals...think of it as "pulse modulation" ....so to speak.

If you want the ability to actually "discriminate"..you'll have to go with a non PI detector.

*disclaimer...I actually make my living using metal detectors....

The best advice I can give you is to KNOW AND UNDERSTAND...your detectors capability's. It speaks a language....your job is to learn that language so you understand what it's saying...be prepared to spend alot of time studying....

Best of luck,

bubs

The Seahunter II is a PI detector...pulse induction. In other words....it hits on EVERYTHING that produces a signal. It does not have the ability to "discriminate" based on what type of metal it's detecting. It does ...allow you to "adjust" for salt water induced false signals...think of it as "pulse modulation" ....so to speak.

If you want the ability to actually "discriminate"..you'll have to go with a non PI detector.

*disclaimer...I actually make my living using metal detectors....

The best advice I can give you is to KNOW AND UNDERSTAND...your detectors capability's. It speaks a language....your job is to learn that language so you understand what it's saying...be prepared to spend alot of time studying....

Best of luck,

bubs

Thanks for the info. What about the fisher 1280 X? It's a vlf. Would it be able to discriminate?
I have a feeling that part of my problem is that I am looking for something that works on the beach as well as while diving deeper. But since I am starting out I'm not ready to buy 2 units yet.
Thanks again for the help!
BK

pm me...you can give me a call and i'l help with any questions you may have....

I'll be back in Fl the 2nd week of Mar...Jax area...where are you at?

pm me...you can give me a call and i'l help with any questions you may have....

I'll be back in Fl the 2nd week of Mar...Jax area...where are you at?

I haven't yet figured out how to PM anyone here lol.

Minelab is the king of discrimination detectors on the beach... You are welcome to contact me...Excalibur is proven for both but costly....My buddy has the fisher..

Minelab Excalibur. Get a straight shaft and keep the original shaft for diving. Great detector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom