Does the DPV/Scooter specialty make sense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robotr0n

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

so I'm trying to figure out whether taking the DPV specialty course actually makes any sense.
Is a specialty required to rent scooters in most cases?
Does the class teach me anything relevant to dive safety?

I'm trying not to waste any money on unnecessary specialty courses like the photo specialty, but am obviously willing to get certified if anything useful is taught, especially if it grants me access because otherwise people won't let me rent the required gear.

Thanks for your help!
-robotr0n

Useless classes - especially specialty, are also a pet peeve of mine. Photo? Boat Diver? Shore diver? Really?

That said...

If you're going to use DPV's and you've not had the course, it's a good idea. I can't say if it will be required to rent, as that's going to be a decision made by each shop who would rent. You should learn some important stuff in the class, though.k

Kind of reminds me of drysuit.

Some rental shops may or may not ask for some type of cert. The class is very beneficial.

There are plenty of folks who just buy the gear and go learn on their own. You'll gain proficiency much faster with a decent instructor than on your own.

And something I forgot - you need a BC with a crotch strap/D ring to use a scooter. Does your current BC have that?

I know someone who wanted to try a scooter at a gear tryout day, but had a jacket BC. There were no loaners so that diver didn’t try a scooter that STA.

And something I forgot - you need a BC with a crotch strap/D ring to use a scooter. Does your current BC have that?

I know someone who wanted to try a scooter at a gear tryout day, but had a jacket BC. There were no loaners so that diver didn’t try a scooter that STA.

You can use scooter harnesses, which are just like climbing sit harnesses and more comfortable than just a crotch strap for long runs. They’re separate from a BC

Depends on the agency.
I would definitely not bother with a PADI DPV course unless I needed a cert to rent a scooter in a remote place where I couldn't bring my own.
PADI says this course takes 2-4 hours.
GUE says 3 days, minimum 5 dives and minimum 24 hours of instruction.
There are of course other options than GUE that will still teach you a ton more than PADI will, I wouldn't sign up for their class personally.

Hi everyone,

so I'm trying to figure out whether taking the DPV specialty course actually makes any sense.
Is a specialty required to rent scooters in most cases?
Does the class teach me anything relevant to dive safety?

I'm trying not to waste any money on unnecessary specialty courses like the photo specialty, but am obviously willing to get certified if anything useful is taught, especially if it grants me access because otherwise people won't let me rent the required gear.

Thanks for your help!
-robotr0n
Short answer is yes. I teach DPV, and 90% of my dives are on DPV

you’re effectively solo on a scooter, because of the extra distance you are from a buddy. Things happen way faster, especially depth changes and you don’t feel the environment, so easy to get caught in currents and the like

In OW its way easier to get lost and lose a buddy. If your buoyancy is poor you’ll also have issues especially when on stops with a dsmb and the scooter floating between your legs.

And something I forgot - you need a BC with a crotch strap/D ring to use a scooter. Does your current BC have that?...

You can use scooter harnesses, which are just like climbing sit harnesses and more comfortable than just a crotch strap for long runs. They’re separate from a BC

Hi @robotr0n

Depends on the DPV. Most commonly used DPV in SE Florida is the Apollo/Tusa sit on. hands free DPV

I took the PADI DPV class back in 2004 at Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman when Divetech was the operator. Only took 2 dives, learned some useful things. This allowed me to rent DPVs on future trips without having to go on a guided dive first, to demonstrate skills.

What are your local requirements in Thailand?

It is a very fun class to do. Like with everything it will depend on the instructor, but if you have a good class you learn a lot.

towing someone or getting towed does feel weird, I wasn’t used to put my hands in another guy’s crotch. :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom