Does Pressed Steel Still Make an LP tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning on getting some LP tanks. For various reasons, I was inclined to get a Pressed Steel Tanks, but not I can't find them. Do they only do HP now, and if not, are there any internet or Atlantic Florida shops (near Boynton Beach area would be good as I will be there on vacation this week) that sell them. If they don't make them, what are my other options besides OMS. Never bought tanks before.

Thanks,
Dave

dlwalke:
I am planning on getting some LP tanks. For various reasons, I was inclined to get a Pressed Steel Tanks, but not I can't find them. Do they only do HP now, and if not, are there any internet or Atlantic Florida shops (near Boynton Beach area would be good as I will be there on vacation this week) that sell them. If they don't make them, what are my other options besides OMS. Never bought tanks before.

Thanks,
Dave

The E8 series are NOT HP tanks. Talk to someone who sells the tanks.

What is the definition of a high pressure tank? The E8-119 is a 3442psi tank, and (I may be wrong) but I though that all the E8's, and many of the E7 series tanks are the same pressure.

iflyprops:
What is the definition of a high pressure tank? The E8-119 is a 3442psi tank, and (I may be wrong) but I though that all the E8's, and many of the E7 series tanks are the same pressure.

HP starts at 3500 psi and goes to 300 bar (4350 psi), has a 7/8" neck and 300 bar DIN valve that will not work with yokes.

E8 tanks have 3/4" necks and use 232 bar DIN/K valves that will accept yokes, although yokes are generally rated at 3000 psi.

There is also a difference in metal, size, weight and buoyancy.

MD

yes, Pressed Steel does produce LP tanks.....they sell a LP 45 and a LP 80 , both @ 2640 psi, and Diveriteexpress is also advertising the availability of a PST LP 120 , although I didn't see that particular tank in my PST brochure.

Karl

I was looking for a PST LP 80 a while ago and couldn't find one - were supposed to be out of stock or out of production until after July. Anyone else have some info? I ended up picking up 3 older steel 80's - 3000 psi

Don't forget that you are required to get a cylinder filled to its rated pressure. My PST E8-119s will still have 95 cu.ft. at 2640psi. This is part of the reason PST has gone to their E-Series cylinders. DiveRiteExpress has a chart of the capacity of the E-Series cylinders at various pressure. You probably should look at the E7-100 as that seems to be the "replacement" for the LP80.

-Rob

dlwalke:

Thanks,
Dave

Yes and No. The new "E series" tanks have about the same specs
as the old LP tanks and you can still fill then to 2400 or 2640 psi if you want. For example I own a PST LP80 and it looks just like the new E7-100, same size and shape but maybe two pounds lighter. If I fill an E7-100 to 2640 it holds 80 cu ft. All they really did was change to a stronger kind of steel. But the new E tanks are nicer than the older LP tanks because if you want you can fill them to 3442. The other nice thing is that they don't require a "+" stamp to be filled to 2640.

The down side is the cost. I bought my LP80, brand new locally for $180 the E7-100 sells for $285. So the price went up. And then the AL80 goes for $99.95 locally. So the E tanks are tripple the price of the of the lowest cost tank.

In case you're one of those people searching for new Pressed Steel tanks which are apparently out of production for the year, I was very lucky and managed to snatch up a new Pressed Steel E8-130 at an LDS today (for only $315), perhaps "the last one on the west coast" in their words (and I don't doubt that). They had two new E8-119's sitting there as well. $289 each. I actually walked out of there with a Faber 108 yesterday, got it home, decided it was too big (relative to the PST LP-104 I was borrowing), and this morning they made the swap (happily). PM me if you would like their info.
Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom