Does Mares have a Performance Guarantee - Unhappy with Mares Raptor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmburch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I do not really know if I like my new Mares Raptors. I do not like the foot box because it is essentially hard plastic. I do not think that I like the angle when standing or surface kicking. They definitely work well under water and feel great there. I am thinking I should have forked out the money for the Atomic Smokes. And I am kind of regretting my purchase. I'm going to give them one more try tomorrow against my buddy surface swimming to see if it is just my perception, but I think the strange angle is causing them to stick up out of the water. I wonder if Mares has a performance guarantee for unhappy customers?

My Apollos work fine all around. I am a Northern California Shore Diver and I can not swim on my back due to rocks, sea grass and kelp. Also it is against the law in California to spear pelicans, gulls, and cormorants.

If I could somehow straighten them out they will work for me.

CM,
if you don't like them, you should try to ask your dive shop (where you bought them) if they'll exchange them for you. Good places usually will, as long as there are no signs of wear.

I don't think Mares has such a service. It's not a warranty issue. But I'll let them speak for themselves... I think you have a much better chance dealing with your LDS rather than asking the manufacturer...

Good luck!:coffee:

No dive shop in my area has the Mares Raptors or the Atomic Smokes. They are excellent underwater. I am going to give them one more try for the surface swim then possibly mark it off as a bad buying experience. Then work some overtime for the Smokes. I was also thinking about another Apollo the new stiffer white, but they also have the angle on them. I already gave my Mares Plana Avanti away to a buddy. I just like Mares products and may have made a bad choice for my type of diving. I got my sister the Tusa X-Pert Zooms last year and she likes them a lot, so I figured the similar looking Raptors were fine and because I am Mares Fan. Thanks.

They looked worn from shipping. Black scuff marks (not just surface scuffs) on the green plastic from rubbing against each other.

cmburch,

Mares does not have a program that you are requesting. Generally speaking this would be handled through a dive store as codman has suggested. It sounds as if you purchased these on the internet? Have you tried contacting the store you purchased them from? Bamboo Reef in San Francisco has the Raptors and I think Atomic. Bamboo Reef in Rohnert Park has the Raptors, not sure about Atomic. Scuba World in Sacramento has both.

The angle of the blade is somewhat critical to the performance of the fin. This has been tested in our Lab / Engineering department extensively prior to production. I hope your reaction is due to the fact you are new to the fins, as with anything it can take some time to adapt to the change. Hopefully on your next outing you will like them more. They really are a great pair of fins.

Sincerely,

I really like the fins underwater. When surfacing (Ab diving) and swimming smoothly down ledges, I feel like I am effortlessly flying through the water. I just have to compare it against my buddy on surface swimming. We'll have a 1/4 mile swim back to shore loaded up. It may just be my perception. I have no problem with modified frog/whip kick so I do not know why others say they can't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom