Does fogged lens = leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just done my first two dives with my new camera and housing this weekend. In between the dives the lens fogged up completely and I did'nt get any pics on the second dive. Why did this happen? I used a decessant pack. Is this from a small leak perhaps or was it just from the extreme temperature differences? :huh: Outside temp was 78 water temp was 39.

What kind of camera?

I'm guessing maybe a Point and Shoot camera?

howarde:
What kind of camera?

I'm guessing maybe a Point and Shoot camera?

It's an Olympus D-580 with a Olympus PT-021 housing.

Well... Little cameras produce more heat - especially if you're using the internal flash. It makes the air inside the housing VERY HOT, and if you're in very cold water i think that would make it fog.

Maybe if you keep your camera housing in the refrigerator before you load it?

howarde:
Well... Little cameras produce more heat - especially if you're using the internal flash. It makes the air inside the housing VERY HOT, and if you're in very cold water i think that would make it fog.

Maybe if you keep your camera housing in the refrigerator before you load it?

Thanks, that makes allot of sence. I figured it had something to do with temperature.

You can also use small silicates bags in the housing. You can microwave it (very lightly) after use.

There are a whole bunch of tricks out there. Some blokes try to fill their housing with dry air (for example from their octo others use hair dryer or plain airconditioned room to close their housing). The less moisture there is inside your housing the less foggy it can get if temperature differences between inside of your housing and water get bigger. Silica packs work but you might need to switch lcd of between shots and use internal strobe less if you can't get moisture out of your housing. LCD does produce quite a bit of heat aswell being big, bright and quite sharp nowadays.

Short answer to your question = no :)

One cause of lens fogging is when warm moist air comes in contact with a cold surface, the water held in the air as vapor condenses into tiny liquid drops as it cools against the surface.

Lens fogging generally happens when taking a camera from a cold/dry environment into a humid/hot environment. It can also happen when taking a camera from a hot environment into a cold environment, but that is not as likely.

Think about ski goggles, or glasses. They tend to fog when you come into a warm room after being out in the cold. Spots optics also fog due to our breathing (our breath is warm/moist) and is more likely if one is in a cold environment (skiing for example).

Camera and optics manufactures apply lens coatings on the front element of most camera lenses in an effort to reduce fogging. In general, this works, but will NOT prevent fogging with radical temp changes.

You need to do what you can to attempt to minimize the changes in temp that the camera is going to undergo. I find it surprising that it fogged so severely. Was the housing in the sun prior to diving? Have you cleaned the coating off the lens? Did you blow on the lens prior to loading it into the case? Was the case stored closed where it could have built up moisture inside?

I would suggest keeping the camera/housing in a cold rinse bucket prior to diving to minimize the temp changes. Avoid radical temperature changes in general with gear. Make sure the housing is clean, and dry.

Was your lens fogged prior to loading the camera into the housing? If you do load a fogged camera into a housing, with no air flow, it will not generally get better.

I doubt a leak is a possibility as at depth that leak would have turned into a flood. My GUESS is that your camera was fogged at the surface and you did not realize it. Did you check it? Did you attempt to air it out between dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom