Does charging batteries the night before really help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy Bouwman

Contributor
Reaction score
Lynden Washington, 1/2 hour north of Bellingham
# of dives
50 - 99
I have recently had question regarding my UK Light Cannon 100. When I first got it the light was good for at least 2 dives, usually 3. But now it seems to be dying after just one dive. I have rechargable batteries, not a battery pack, but I charge the batteries usually as soon as I get home from diving. Is the couple weeks that they sit going to drain the batteries that much? Should I charge the batteries the night before I go diving, or do I have some other problem?

What kind of batteries? Nicad? NimHi? LIon? SLA? They all act differently. Yes, sitting for weeks they will loose some charge. NimHi for example lose 10% just sitting for a day (if I recall correctly. Less on subsequent days).

-Ben

Probably too late, but I keep all my rechargeables in the fridge. They last longer and lose less of the charge just sitting. I believe, but am not sure, that this applies to most types of rechargeable batteries. They all wear out over time, and they all degrade over time so hold less of a charge.

In a word... YES! Rechargeable batteries work best with a fresh charge. My cam batteries will last less time if I charge them the week before versus the night before use. About two hours less time... which is the difference between one and three dives in a day.

Also, like Darnold said, rechargeables don't take a charge as well after several months (not in my case, but I have heard in others) of use as they did when new. I have a set that would last three or four dives, but now, after 100 dives, don't even last one. Just because they are rechargable, doesn't mean they are everlasting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom