Does anyone have any experience with the Mares Genius?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm still fairly new diver. I just invested in my own gear a month ago, and I'm loving it, except for the fact that I'm regretting going cheap on the dive computer. I bought a Mares, Quad (not the Quad Air) just the quad. I'm not going to lie it's a really nice non air integrated entry level computer that's easy for me to use, but I am finding my self regretting not buying an air integrated one, because I'm one of those guys, who looks at his gage every 30 seconds. I'm not sure how far I will take this sport, but I kind of want to invest in a Tech rated computer just in case, I take it to the next level.

I have been reading all kinds of forms on how good the and versatile the Shearwater Teric is, but I tried one on in the store, and it seamed kind of flimsy. I'm the kind of guy, that for some reason has the DNA( stuff breaks around me jean) so I'm looking for something tough.

I only ask about the Genius, because I got a great offer from one of the local stores near me, and there's not much info online about it.

I haven't seen anything, but when I asked someone about mares who has a icon black HD I was told they are not any good.

I don't think mares is well liked as far as computers on this board.

I and another guy have both posted recent computer threads, you can see the replies

I haven't seen anything, but when I asked someone about mares who has a icon black HD I was told they are not any good.

I don't think mares is well liked as far as computers on this board.

I and another guy have both posted recent computer threads, you can see the replies

I think I saw those posts and I think you're right, I just thought I would post about it again, just for the hell of it.

if you think the teric is too flimsy, then take a look at the perdix ai

Oh I'm looking at it, the only problem I got is that the dive shop near me doesn't have the prices compatible to online. The only thing I'm not really a fan of on the perdix is the strap layout, but I'm sure some guys have engineered a strap system to make it hold better.

As for looking at your gauges every 30 sec, don't worry about it, that will decrease markedly as your comfort level and experience increase. That being said, I really like AI now that Shearwater has it. The only reason to use the straps on either is if you have to fit it over bulky dry suit cuffs, otherwise just use bungee. You don't need anything to do that with the Perdix and there's a nice adapter for the Teric, Teric Bungee Mount.

The only criticism I have for my Icon HD AI is that it needs recharging more often than many other brands and it has a finicky data cable clip, but other than that I consider it an excellent computer. I have not tried a Genius yet.

I had the Icon and now a Teric. I moved away from the Icon due to the bubble model algorithm and no mixed gas. The Genius now supports mixed gas with Buhlman ZHL 16. If I had a choice between the Perdix and Genius, I'd probably go with the Genius. Better AI capabilities and data. But given the Teric's smaller low profile form, I choose the Teric over both. You might think the bigger computers are tougher, but what it actually means is they are far more likely to hit or scrape something.

I had the Icon and now a Teric. I moved away from the Icon due to the bubble model algorithm and no mixed gas. The Genius now supports mixed gas with Buhlman ZHL 16. If I had a choice between the Perdix and Genius, I'd probably go with the Genius. Better AI capabilities and data. But given the Teric's smaller low profile form, I choose the Teric over both. You might think the bigger computers are tougher, but what it actually means is they are far more likely to hit or scrape something.
Thanks for the info, after weeks of research and telling myself that I didn’t need a Teric, I realized that I was in denial, and that I really wanted one, so I bought it and I don’t regret it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom