Do you use diving flashing marker light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A small flashing signal light can be attached on the tank to mark positions easily. It’s good for a decent visibility night dive where divers don’t want a blindingly bright light. Also, it helps to find a buddy and know the location of other divers underwater, suitable for big group night dives. Do you also use a diving signal light during dives? Would you find it helpful or you rely more on other forms of communication, like using brighter primary diving flashlight or hand signals?

Thanks for your kind comments in advance!

I use tank light on all group night dives. Some outfits require them. I like for my buddy to use one as well even if it is not required. I like different color lights so I can identify my buddy or other group members easily. If needs to be, I put two different color lights on my tank at the same time to make me stand out. I do not like blinding strobe lights as a tank marker. I use my primary light and hand signals as well.

they are useful. i just wish they would make them dimmable.

For night dives I find flashing lights very annoying.

My preference is chem-lights. They have a bright slightly diffused glow that’s easy on the eyes, and come in several colors to identify individual divers. They’re inexpensive, and I bring enough to supply the group if anyone wants one. They glow for hours, and are more reliable than anything battery powered.

I acknowledge there is an environmental concern due to chem-lights being single use plastic, and possibly toxic content. For this reason I always use two zip-ties to securely attach, and dispose them responsibility afterwards.

For night dives I find flashing lights very annoying.

My preference is chem-lights. They have a bright slightly diffused glow that’s easy on the eyes, and come in several colors to identify individual divers. They’re inexpensive, and I bring enough to supply the group if anyone wants one. They glow for hours, and are more reliable than anything battery powered.

I acknowledge there is an environmental concern due to chem-lights being single use plastic, and possibly toxic content. For this reason I always use two zip-ties to securely attach, and dispose them responsibility afterwards.
To make sure you don’t lose your single use toxic plastic light, you use single use plast zip ties. LoL, not trying to be mean, but that’s the way it read. I did something similar for years.

Now I use a colored dongle that uses a pair of button batteries. It is not bright, but it will identify my tank in a group at night. Seeing other divers is easy, identifying them is harder.

Attachments

• IMG_7777.jpeg
    IMG_7777.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 96
1683895592902.png

Hmmmmm.......

Now, if we could only figure out a way to make this a BCD.... I'd put def put it on a back plate...
1683898735428.png

and just to keep this pertinent, yes, you could put a beacon light on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom