Do you think my tank is still good? Sitting outside for several years...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

Surfacing once again after a VERY long time...

I've just moved for the first time in 5 1/2 years (none of which was spent diving, unfortunately) and in the process I've naturally unearthed my cache of gear. One piece which I'd all but forgotten about is my old trusty cylinder, an AL90 if I remember correctly. It's an ex-rental tank I picked up from my dive shop back in Columbus early in my hobby, with a first hydro date stamp of 1989 and a last date of 2004 or so. But here's the kicker: for the last several years it had been been sitting out on my back balcony, after my (now deceased) p***k landlord got skittish and refused to let me store it in the basement with the rest of my gear, even after I assured him that the thing was empty and couldn't possibly explode or whatever. For whatever reason--any of them would be pretty stupid, I suspect--I never brought it in, and left it outside through several summers and winters. It hasn't been in the rain or snow or sunshine, but I wonder if all that exposure to the changing temperatures might have somehow compromised its integrity, and whether or not it will pass or fail its next hydro when I finally get around to it. Or maybe it's just too old? Other than the occasional none-too-good seal when clamping on my SE2 first stage (which I blame on the reg's yoke), my tank has always been just fine. Any educated opinions would be welcome. I'd love to get diving again and if I still have a good tank it would be great. Thanks everyone!

cheers

Billy S.

Hydro & vis will give you the answers you are looking for, speculation will not add any value.

A few years ago I bought a steel tank that had been sitting in a garage for years without air in it, how many years the guy didn't know.

I took the valve off and put a small led flashlight on a string inside; rust everywhere, not heavy flaky rust but a light even coating of rust as far as I could see. "It's rusty inside" I said "Ten bucks" he said. So after rolling, vip'in and hydro about $70.00 for me, I had another 72LP.

Will you be that lucky? See post #2

DOB is 1989 per the OP... do we dare mention AL6351 alloy? but again, see post #2...

FYI, if it's a 1989 tank it is not 6351. Luxfer quit making 6351 and switched to 6061 in May of 1988. It could be a Walter kiddie or cliff impact tank in which case it may be 6351, but if it a SP tank by Norris or kaiser it can't be filled anyway, as the special permit expired.

Get a vis and hydro, it's the only way you will know if it is still good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom