Do you recommend using a guide at Point Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Monterey divers, if one is experienced (almost 200 dives and rescue cert), is it possible to dive Point Lobos without a guide (first time). I realize one must register and pay to dive (find availability, etc.).

Also, what is the best month for water clarity, wildlife, and warmer water?

Thank you

If you can use your compass with basic aptitude and simple navigation you should be fine without a guide. I would suggest surface swimming until the sand channel, dropping down and heading out to the open ocean. Keep the walls on your left and turn around on air.

Let me see what maps ive got and ill PM them to you.

Get a map and study it. Nav at lobos is easy. North takes you out and south takes you in. That combined with depth contours should keep you entertained for quite a while.

WRT guides, I think the state parks have shut down any and all services including guides.

Get a map and study it. Nav at lobos is easy. North takes you out and south takes you in. That combined with depth contours should keep you entertained for quite a while.

WRT guides, I think the state parks have shut down any and all services including guides.
Thanks. Best month for diving for good viz?

That’s a crap shoot but in general I would say winter has better viz.

In my experience, viz usually gets better the further out and deeper you go. Work your way out further and deeper gradually.

Thanks. Best month for diving for good viz?

The best diving I have ever done was in Carmel Bay between winter storms. So yes, it is a crap shoot but well worth the gamble. There are worse places to be than the Monterey Peninsula even when it is sea state terrible.

Regardless of the diving, Pt. Lobos is an insanely beautiful place! My wife and I vacation in Carmel occasionally. We like to stay at a place in Carmel Highlands that looks out over Pt. Lobos. That section of the CA coast just never gets old. I've done numerous dives in Monterey and Carmel but have not yet been able to sync up a dive at Pt. Lobos. Hopefully one day it will happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom