Do You know this Light ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My dive light died and I am in the early stages of looking for a replacement. On a dive boat down south, my buddy remembers an LED light that is approx 1.5 " diameter and approx 8" long. He said the DM loved it but my buddy can't remember the manufacturer. He does remember being told that it cost around $90 US $. Price might have changed a bit, but somewhere around there. He also remembers being very impressed with the light. Does this ring a bell with anybody ? Do they know the manufacturer and where I might be able to get this light. I'm going to post this in another forum as well. Thanks for any info

Must admit that, after doing some research yesterday, this description for a light could be anyone of 5-10 lights out there. I'm going to do some more searching and then I'll come back with a more direct question as to which lights out there do people prefer. Thanks

If you come across this post, it's currently an ongoing discussion under General Scuba Equipment ( under Dive Light Recommendations ) and this one looks like it will die. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Sebaworld. Am looking at the 3xPG as primary and the back up TEC as secondary. Do you know if these have adjustable beam angle ? Also, can you adjust the power settings in either ? Thanks for the help. These look really good... Top of the list so far

Thanks for a message, I did reply to you already in private but will post it also here for others:

So if it comes to 3XPG - light has wider hot spot and also light spill (the area of light beyond the hot spot) what it means is that you will see more around of you but the light wave would not travel as far as narrower beam because puts out less lumen per taken area (sq inch etc, lighten up area is bigger but less power per sq inch ) so accordingly when used in bad viz you will see more of a thing that disturb that vis (sand, green stuff etc) closer to you because the way it work with that light beam angle

- BACK Up TEC has narrower light beam thats why you will see less in area around of you but because of more lumen per sq inch the light (hot spot) will travel much farther then 3XPG beam
and again in bad vis you see less disturbing substance so might look like it works better then other in low viz

Because of the very compact size of our Back Up's that's very good idea (well known in DIR configuration) of having two back up lights like you're planning to use. It's a great option.

So in your case having two different models one is going to be better then another depends on the conditions.

Light For Me is working at focusable LED Back Up's but so far the prototypes that were made for testing came up ok but weren't the ones that we would like to show the world, not only because of our work but there is no perfect LED's yet produced by LED's company for that purpose (in our ideology) (we use CREE, American Company - the most innovative). So it might take another year or so to make them address every need we have.

Hope that helps little bit in your concern :)

Sebastian

hmm 9° beam angle . More +/- 9° = 18° from picture I have measured +/-18° = 36° (slope ) but the distance is not 1 m but 4ft =1,21m . :D With batwing lens

kot.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom