Do you dive with a spare mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have seen a few people lately discuss having a spare mask in a pocket while diving. Is this the status quo to dive with an extra mask or is this considered overkill to most? And I am not talking about having an extra mask in your gear bag topside.

Nope. No extra in a pocket. I dive recreationally, and don't see a need to haul that around. Too easy to surface if there's an issue.

If I were tech or cave diving, I might bring a spare...

I never have.....

I have since I took the solo class . . . it's too easy to carry, so why not?

I do sometimes, but I'm not consistent about it. I have had the spare mask save a dive in SoCal, when I got rolled in surf and lost my primary mask. I use bifocals, so borrowing a mask isn't really an option. So I tend to carry a spare in places where I'm going to be very annoyed if I lose a dive, and not so much at home, where I can always dive another day.

Its the sort of thing that most people do not carry but if you ever meet someone who has needed one in an emergency they will swear it is a vital piece of equipment.

Wow, I never even thought about it.. my least favorite part of certification was definitely the swim without a mask, so it's not a bad idea!

When I am diving in water at 20C (70F) I can read my gauges well enough without a mask so a spare is not necessary. When I am in water at 4C (40F) then it really hurts to keep my eyes open underwater, complicating a mask-less safe ascent.

*i* don't, but my buddy does, so i have his if needed. team resources!

I have seen a few people lately discuss having a spare mask in a pocket while diving. Is this the status quo to dive with an extra mask or is this considered overkill to most? And I am not talking about having an extra mask in your gear bag topside.

I dont see it as overkill at all. With no mask i cant see clearly. That means i can't read my gauges so have no way of gauging depth, time or gas remaining.
So no mask would compromise my ability to ascent safely using a sensible profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom