Do you actually intend to make money with your "pro" status?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For me, it was an excuse to get into the pool when the lakes are iced over. That's why I signed up to do divemaster. Second reason, with my physical shape decreasing exponentially with age, it is probably the last time in my life I can pass the physical test.... (well, actually I didn't do too bad, but that was a major concern). I am very doubtful if I would ever get liability insurance, unless some dive shop is willing to pay for it. So far, I am learning quite a bit.

I've seen 4 different instructors and different styles. Simple little things are done differently, and I realized that my way of removing and donning gear is actually easier than what my first instructor taught (left arm first, push the tank over, then right arm). I just saw another instructor using it, and all 7 students got it right off the bat - both on the bottom and the surface. The other method that I was required to learn (horse back riding) didn't work for me, and didn't work for many of the students either.

Anyone here actually plan to look for work, and actively looking for full time work? If so, what destinations are you thinking of?

Well, no, I'm not looking for work anywhere else outside of my LDS. As a dive Con I'm really not looking to make much money (maybe enough to cover my insurance & renewal fees). The only thing I can make any money doing at this point is doing some "Try Scuba" sessions & by doing some skills update classes. I am hoping to gain enough experience this summer to be able to move on to OWSI late this year or early next year. Some of our OW instructors do reasonably well making some money, teaching lessons (just as a little bit of extra income, not anything sustainable without a primary job). A lot of it at our shop, depends on how much you want to pursue it. Basically the shop will schedule just about as many courses as the instructor wants to handle. Our busiest instructors though, typically do not want more than 1-2 classes going at any one time.

I went into dive master knowing that I would not make any money. I enjoy helping with classes and benefit from free air fills and good store discounts. I do get paid some when I conduct EFR classes, but, again, nothing substantial.

Money didn't even cross my mind, honestly. I signed up to get opportunities to dive, because I knew I'd enjoy helping with students, and because I knew it would improve my diving.

I'm on my way to instructor (currently nearing the interim goal of NAUI Divemaster) because I enjoy diving and also greatly enjoy helping people learn. I have no plans for making it a career, but if I can make a little money (or more likely, "lose" a little less), that will certainly be appreciated.

Basically, I've always had a strong volunteerism background. If I'll drive 15 hours or more to go to a cleanup event in a park, being able to help people by *diving* is certainly something I'd pay a bit for. Although I certainly enjoy my dark, cold dives (solo or with skilled buddies), I'm just crazy enough to really enjoy diving with students. It's not the same by any stretch, and it's certainly more stressful, but certain amounts of stress are invigorating, and seeing new divers light up is great.

Did it, still doing it.

As a side note, it's really hard for pro divers to make any money while everyone else is volunteering. You all took the training and pay for the insurance, why would you teach for free or for limited pay?

Rachel

I went into it for the purpose of diving more and supplementing my income at least enough to pay for my diving, insurance, further training, and something to do after retirement. At no time did I plan on being somebody's unpaid servant. The amount of time spent on training, equipment, insurance, etc means I have to recoup my investment in some way since I'm not independently wealthy. ALso being responsible for the lives of other people enters into it as well. My brother in law gets better than 25 bucks an hour to be responsible for others as a nurse. Many DM's and instructors put more time in and perhaps as much money as he did for his nursing degree. WHy should we not expect and get paid. Those who do it " for the fun and diving" with no expectations of compensation make it damn hard for those of us who do.

As a side note, it's really hard for pro divers to make any money while everyone else is volunteering. You all took the training and pay for the insurance, why would you teach for free or for limited pay?
Rachel

If someone can make decent money, I encourage that. But for me, as a Dive Con, the instructors would most likely chose no help over having to give a bit of their take of what they make on the classes. I'm trying to gain experience, if they don't take help,... then how do I gain the experience I need to move on to instructor level, myself? Basically I have to take what I can get at this point. Like the others, I also enjoy helping & being of service to the learning students. I also enjoy helping mentor newer divers,... kind of a "pay it forward" type thing.

As a side note, it's really hard for pro divers to make any money while everyone else is volunteering.
You should see how hard it is to make a living improving hiking trails, leading Scouts or equivalents, coaching kids' sports, picking up litter, running clubs, organizing disc golf, and all that jazz. Those blasted volunteers will be the downfall of civilization if we don't hurry up and stop them! :rolleyes:

I dare say *I* pose no competition for professional divers, such as those who crew the boats on which we dive and those who provide specific expertise, such as Oriskany Divemaster. Considering I actually *recommend* divers hire such expertise (even explaining why it's *worth* paying for), it seems rather the opposite.

Volunteers teaching kids tennis have never really had much impact on pro tennis instructors, except perhaps to broaden the group of individuals who might want those premium services. I would have hoped you'd actually appreciate having some of us working to make better divers who can last long enough to want the premium services you'd gladly provide.

(I've yet to see any super-premium Broadway shows pontificating against local Little Theatre groups, even when they're presenting the very same shows for *peanuts*. :biggrin:)

I just hope I don't end up paying for the privilege of helping teach someone to Dive as a DM (or doing any other DM task).

I'm not looking to "make money" -- I just don't want it to increase my SCUBA related expenses -- a net zero would work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom