DO WE NEED 8K FOR UNDERWATER VIDEOGRAPHY?

Do you think 8K is needed for underwater videography?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is an interesting opinion about 8K for underwater videography published at Wetpixel.es.
It is obviously a controversial question, but in my humble opinion, for 99.9% of us the answer is NO.

What is your opinion? Do you think we really need 8K? Could you please read the article and vote? Your discussion will be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you.
Val

-Oh Oh 8K – Do we really need to go beyond 4K?-Oh Oh 8K ( Under the water ) – ¿Realmente necesitamos ir más allá del 4K ( Debajo del agua ) ? – Wetpixel.es

Considering most displays (TV/PC) can't display 8K quality I don't see the point.

If you're TV is maxed out at 4K your 8K video wont matter, you will see it as 4K.

Do you need to output your final product in 8K? No, but having an 8K camera has some advantages.

If you record in 8K you can crop in and even do shake reduction and output in 4K. Often they will record at lower resolutions at higher FPS. So you can record in 4K@120fps and be able to apply a 50% reduction in frame rate (really helpful for fish videos) and still output a 4K@60fps.

I would say double it, the rest for the shrinker to deal with my buyers remorse

Anyone know what the file size of 8k video is for 1 minute? I know it depends on the FPS (frames per second) you record at, bitrate (8-bit, 10-bit for example), codec and compression.

On my Nikon D500, 1 min is about 1GB.

Now? No. In a bit? Most certainly yes.

Everything is relative. I originally voted no but will change my vote for the following reasons. As a videographer/photographer, I see myself preserving time when I engage in the aforementioned activity. Why not preserve the moment in the best possible definition available? Yes, the bandwidth and storage requirements will be enormous but these are issues that will be passe in a few years.

I recall the days when I had the biggest memory card in my camera was 256MB. Now with a current DSLR that card will fill with just 5 photos.

Currently we are limited by technology and the cost of it. But these obstacles will pass with time.

I did purchase an underwater 8k panoramic camera one year ago.
It is the Kandao Qoocam 8k with its nice UW case.
The improvement given by a panoramic video in 8k is dramatic when watched on the Oculus Quest 2, the first consumer-grade HMD making full usage of panoramic 360-degrees 8k video.
Of course a normal framed video can be derived from the panoramic video, to be watched normally on screen: and again also for this having an original footage at 8k provides much better results after re-framing.
So for me 8k is a must for a 360-panoramic UW camera.
After purchasing the Qoocam 8k, I did find quite poor, in comparison, the resolution provided by my previous UW cameras, namely the Vuze XR (5.7k) and the Ricoh Theta V (4k).

I did purchase an underwater 8k panoramic camera one year ago.
It is the Kandao Qoocam 8k with its nice UW case.

Thank you for your comment, Angelo. Do you have a YouTube Channel where I could watch your videos?

Everything is relative. I originally voted no but will change my vote for the following reasons. As a videographer/photographer, I see myself preserving time when I engage in the aforementioned activity. Why not preserve the moment in the best possible definition available? Yes, the bandwidth and storage requirements will be enormous but these are issues that will be passe in a few years.

I recall the days when I had the biggest memory card in my camera was 256MB. Now with a current DSLR that card will fill with just 5 photos.

Currently we are limited by technology and the cost of it. But these obstacles will pass with time.

I agree that the future is with 8K or 64K or something absolutely new, like limitless. The question is when?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom