Do speciality fins exist? Discussion about scuba orthotic fins and handicap access.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonniex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
[FONT=____noteworthy]I was wondering if any divers out there know if there's such a thing as orthotics for scuba fins or if there's any kind of speciality item for people who for example have higher or lower arches or someone with joint pain in their feet or toes.

Do you think it's more a matter of the Split fin or regular fin for comfort? I've always been interested in alternatives and other options for people with an injury or handicap and I think turning the hand into a moving instrument could play a role too in transforming someone who may not be able to otherwise dive enjoy the underwater world.

I'd be interested in learning where I can find pics of handicap divers. That would be a source of inspiration for me.

- Jon

sigpic197015_1.gif

divesummit
"People protect what they love." - Jacques Cousteau

[/FONT]

Orthotics are intended to place the foot in the proper position when when bearing body weight...not sure how it would help with finning.

[FONT=____noteworthy]I was wondering if any divers out there know if there's such a thing as orthotics for scuba fins or if there's any kind of speciality item for people who for example have higher or lower arches or someone with joint pain in their feet or toes.[/FONT]

A stiff foot pocket sized to hold at least most of your foot and a boot, with a stiff sole helps. Some fins with short or poorly shaped pockets leave a lot of foot hanging out, which makes the food flex with each kick. This might be a problem if your feet hurt.

In any case, you can put an orthotic into the boot (I did) but it seems to mostly be helpful when carrying my gear back to the car.

A soft split fin puts less stress on various joints at the expense of less propulsion and less control. As with most things, it's a compromise, depending on what you want or need.

flots

Last edited:
I've seen the Seasoft Sunray boots recommended as having better arch support compared to most.

I do think arch support is more important when you're on land lugging around gear (I paid for lack of this last time I did a lot of shore diving.) And some combination of stiffness of sole, design of fin pocket & how much foot is hanging out may play a bigger role than arch support when actually finning.

I have found that stiff soled boots and split fins help with my knee and ankle problems. On our recent trip I started wrapping my problem ankle with "Coban bandage" which allowed me to do 25 dives in 10 days and have my ankle in better shape at the end of the trip than at the beginning! Of course it is vital that you know how to wrap an ankle properly to give the support without restricting circulation in any way other wise this could create a disaster!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom