Do IP gauges always fail by reading high?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've got two IP gauges. One tends to read about 10 psi higher than the other.
Can I assume the lower-reading gauge is more likely "correct'?

Probably not.

They read high because the coil of copper tube inside loses its elasticity, which is why some folks like the Navy annually check them against a known source, and check the source against a standard. Electronic gauges have no such tube, and only read wrong when dropped, probably never to read correctly again.

Digital gauges aren’t that expensive if you’re checking lots of IPs. Part with some treasure.

Assuming one gauge is correct over another, at that point you are just guessing.

Gauges fail in all sorts of ways. You can get a replacement gauge for under $10. Standard pipe thread connects the gauge to a BC nipple.

On the one that reads high, does the needle rest on zero or the pin if present?

If you have one gauge you know what pressure you have, if you have two you don’t know.
Yeah, and that is why you have three clocks.

Hello tursiops,

I wouldn't think so. Most ''common'' pressure gauges have either pressure tubes or pressure springs, and when at rest, the gauge is at ''O''

If either the spring or the tube failed while at pressure, the needle could come to rest anywhere along the scale.

I have many gauges at both of my operations, and all of them professionally calibrated at regular intervals, and replaced as needed.

If sport divers were required by law/legislation/code to have all gauges, IP/SPG/magnahelic etc. calibrated at regular intervals, I'm sure you'd be very surprised at what you would find.

Same thing goes for computers. If you had ten wrist computers lined up on your arm, and not one of them read exactly the same, which one is right??

This is my primary reason, for trading in and replacing every third year or so. What's a bucket full of old SPG's/computers worth, absolutely nothing, IMHO.

Very Best to You,

Rose.

Back
Top Bottom