Do I go for IDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olddiver1950

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So here's the situation: I'm 68, been diving for 20 years but seriously for about 10. Currently a DM and assist my shop at every possible time. Just committed to DM for every class in 2019. Retired engineer so income is not required but shop credit for trips and toys would be great. I do get discounts as DM but that's it. Wife loves diving, I love diving, will dive as long as the body holds out and the good Lord allows. So, is it worth the $4k+ price to get IDC or better to hang as DM, "support the students" and put that $4K toward trips and toys???
Your experiences and advice is really welcomed! Thanks

When one retires he needs something to do. Do you not have other interests that might be impacted financially or time-wise by committing to being an instructor?
Do you LOVE teaching? Do you want the full responsibility? Does your location need another instructor?
I assisted instructors as a DM and enjoyed it, but after a couple of years not so much and never wished to be an instructor.
I would suggest using the money toward travel to interesting dive sites or whatever else you enjoy, but only you can decide what is best for you.

@Olddiver1950 if you are doing all of that for your local shop, they should run you through an instructor for free if they want you to teach for them and you want to do it. I would see if they will make you an AI for free instead which makes you more valuable to the instructors but doesn't put the hassle of teaching for a shop on your shoulders

When one retires he needs something to do. Do you not have other interests that might be impacted financially or time-wise by committing to being an instructor?
Do you LOVE teaching? Do you want the full responsibility? Does your location need another instructor?
I assisted instructors as a DM and enjoyed it, but after a couple of years not so much and never wished to be an instructor.
I would suggest using the money toward travel to interesting dive sites or whatever else you enjoy, but only you can decide what is best for you.

Yep, two other passions; cycling and woodwork. Neither costs much and cycling is cost free. A very good friend also DM's and says, "let's DM together until we can't stand it any more". I think that might be a done deal.

Don't not do it because of your age, do it or not do it based on your interested and your capabilities. Age should be the last thing you consider as long as you have the required fitness level and health to be able to do it.

Don't not do it because of your age, do it or not do it based on your interested and your capabilities. Age should be the last thing you consider as long as you have the required fitness level and health to be able to do it.

Fitness is great (gym every day), health is great (no meds at all), interest is there as I love diving and teaching, but the thing that is lacking is dollars (fixed income). So I'm thinking continue to DM and be the one instructors ask for. Be the best diver I can be and enjoy it and help on dive trips when needed. And keep up with additional study. As an engineer one of the things I like is the technical stuff involved with diving. Thanks fish!

I would stick with being a DM and enjoying that role. That is what I do. Another thing that you may not have considered, is that annual membership dues and liability insurance is nearly double for Instructors vs. DM's with PADI- I am guessing your shop wouldn't be covering that tab- so that's an additional annual expense. As long has you have good instructors to work with and you enjoy that role, I wouldn't bother.

I would stick with being a DM and enjoying that role. That is what I do. Another thing that you may not have considered, is that annual membership dues and liability insurance is nearly double for Instructors vs. DM's with PADI- I am guessing your shop wouldn't be covering that tab- so that's an additional annual expense. As long has you have good instructors to work with and you enjoy that role, I wouldn't bother.

Actually that's what my buddy with whom (nice English huh) I DM says. We enjoy the role, when the clas is over we go home and they do paperwork. So, what do you do to do refresh your tech knowledge. I know the physiology doesn't change from year to year but the memory does. :) Thanks for the wisdom "boss"

Back
Top Bottom