DM Pre-requisites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpf1230

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm interested in obtaining my DM certification and have all the requirements to start except for the Night/Low visibility. However, I am a public safety diver and frequently dive in zero visibility and black water. What amount of dives is considered to be adequate experience and who makes that decision?

Why don't you contact SDI directly to ask your question? The standards stay you have to have at least 40 logged dives to begin the DM course, and a certain number of dives/underwater time to graduate. It seems to be you're asking if your PSD experience would "give you a leg up" on the DM course (correct me if I have the wrong impression), only SDI could answer that. PS diving is totally different from OW diving. How much OW experience do you have? I've seen many on SB write that DM/instructor candidates should have dives in as many different conditions as possible.

I thought this was a way to contact SDI. My apologies.

I have just over 100 OW dives in various conditions and locations including salt and fresh water.

It's debatable how much the agencies are on SB. Contacting SDI directly by email is your best bet, and ensures you have the information in writing.

keep in mind that a PSD and a recreational DM are different animals. Yes....training in one is a big help for the other. You seem to have the requisite number of dives. I run my SDI DM class with an evaluation set of dives to see how a diver does before we start the DM coursework.

So you've completed an advanced course that did not include low Vis/night diving? If you could show proof of experience in this type of diving I'd have your instructor on the phone to SDI to confirm that it's acceptable. SDI can be very flexible and accommodating when it comes to common sense. Or, email SDI, get it in writing and then show your instructor. I don't think you'll have a problem.

tpf1230,

Sorry for the delayed reply; we rarely monitor this board since most people email us directly or use the chat feature on our website. To answer your question, your experience in low/no visibility conditions would meet the prerequisite. If you have any further questions regarding training, you're welcome to email us directly at training@tdisdi.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom