DM on Madeira (Portugal) or Phi Phi (Thailand) ? Pros and Cons !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divethrough

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey folks,

I ve been reading in this forum for weeks but haven´t made any decision yet.
My aim is to do the divemaster free internship in September/October and therefore need to book flights soon. I have plenty of time as I quit my job, do not have a relationship and be in my 30´s.

I found one dive center with quite good recommendations on Madeira but there are some disadvantages:
- Low Season, smaller amount of dives
- Cold water, 23 degrees
- very quite, older (experienced) customers
- very good instructor
- less corals and fish

I found one dive center with quite good recommendations on Koh Phi Phi (which has been mentioned here before) but there are some disadvantages:
- Peak Season, time to learn?
- Party place (ok I am single), very loud
- Quality of diving?
- nothing to do than diving
- very expensive

In your opinion would you focus on the quality of dives?
Or would you concentrate on the amount of dives?

How is Phi Phi in reality - especially when you are not 20 years old?

Hope to get some replies as I need to book flights :)
Thanks and cheers
Steve

This all depends on yourself. What do you want from the course? Just to have a good time, or to become a proficient DM? If it is the latter, obviously your focus should be on the quality of training and diving experience you will gain.

Well, I prefer to combine a good time and quality training :D
I know what you mean, it´s not all about having a good time, it´s an internship. Therefore I would be quite interested to know how the real life is going on Phi Phi island.

Anybody been to phi phi recently? How s life there?
Became the island more a factory than a dive destiation?

I've worked and lived in Madeira for 3 years, from 2010 to 2013. During that time I also transitioned from recreational diver to DM. I spent a week on Phi Phi island in January 2015.
The short answer is that imo Madeira is the better option. While the high season indeed is short, it lasts until end of October, you'll get a more thorough DM course. Phi Phi island is mostly backpacker dive centres offering lots of DSD packages to young hip travelers who stay only a few days.
Feel free to pm me for a longer reply.

I've worked and lived in Madeira for 3 years, from 2010 to 2013. During that time I also transitioned from recreational diver to DM. I spent a week on Phi Phi island in January 2015.
The short answer is that imo Madeira is the better option. While the high season indeed is short, it lasts until end of October, you'll get a more thorough DM course. Phi Phi island is mostly backpacker dive centres offering lots of DSD packages to young hip travelers who stay only a few days.
Feel free to pm me for a longer reply.
Many fundivers as well on Phi Phi, and also quite a few open water and advanced courses taught. But yes, it is a backpacker destination.

My friend who was an instructor on Phi Phi for a few months during the peak season told me she didn't get to teach many courses but had to guide lots and lots of DSDs. Many backpackers are coming through all the time and while they want to try diving, most of them won't set aside the time for a full course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom