DM Map

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BARdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just how much detail is expected when doing the mapping of a dive site for the PADI DM course? Not sure I get the reasoning behide doing this, already done nav course.

Just how much detail is expected when doing the mapping of a dive site for the PADI DM course? Not sure I get the reasoning behide doing this, already done nav course.

From what I gather it's completely up to the instructor as to how detailed it must be. Ours was depths, distances, maybe compass headings, bottom contour, entry/exit, basic stuff. Our shop sometimes uses them on the website as dive sites. I did mine nowhere near the shop, as I live a good distance away. My instructor's only complaint was it wasn't colourful enough, so I got out the markers.

I would ask your Instructor what they expect.

For my DMC's I use it for them to become experts with the chosen site. I want them to think like a new diver and ask themselves what do I need to know about this site and then learn all they can of that site, not just what's underwater

I also use it to see how they work as a team, who leads, who follows and if they can get along.

How it looks is only part of the equation. I've had DMC's take GPS's, and measure depth every ten feet and make a map and plot it on a Google Earth map, to making numerous dives and drawing it out with colored pencils.
What I really want them to know is the site, not how well they can color or plot GPS coordinates.

Nav Course: Go from A to B underwater.

DM Course: As a dive guide, learn to understand every nuance of a dive site and prepare a map to enable comprehensive dive planning for future dives at the site. Use that map to provide informative and interesting dive briefings to customers who you will guide at that site.

If you don't understand the value and necessisty of an accurate dive map for the conduct of DM activities, then perhaps you should get a little more experience in diving before continuing with the DM course? :confused:

I ask DMTs to make depth contour lines with distances between contour lines more or less to scale, note formations and coral stands, sandy bottom areas, and any other artifacts that are part of the landscape such as mooring lines or reef balls. I like to see them collaborate on getting compass headings more or less right, depths at bottoms and tops of big coral heads or boulders, distances from one feature to the next, etc.

Some teams produce lovely maps worthy of publication; others don't, but learn just as much. You never look at a dive site the same way once you've mapped one out for yourself. As in just about every dive course, it's more of a learning experience rather than becoming expert at it in one try. Some dive pros work in areas where there aren't any published maps, and it's essential to have this skill not only in order to do a proper dive briefing but also to learn the dive site in detail.

Thanks for the reply's and suggestions. Sorry I didn't meet DevonDivers standards, I only have 200 cold water dives in low viz so not a lot of experaince at knowing where I'm at when diving. I know it was a lot harder when I dove in the PI and could only see 80 feet or so.

Sorry for the rant.

The comment was purely aimed at encouraging some self-assessment. :wink:

Being a great DM, isn't the same as being a great diver. The DM course should be a vessel that transforms good diving skills into good dive leading skills. The mapping project is directly relevant to the work that you should be doing as a DM.

You need to become fully aware with what is expected of a high-calibre DM. If you were, then the relevance of the mapping project becomes clear.

p.s. I strongly advise ridding yourself of the egotism that drives the 'cold water vs warm water' superiority attitude. It shows a lack of understanding...

Thanks for the reply's and suggestions. Sorry I didn't meet DevonDivers standards, I only have 200 cold water dives in low viz so not a lot of experaince at knowing where I'm at when diving. I know it was a lot harder when I dove in the PI and could only see 80 feet or so.

Sorry for the rant.

Hope you have some good exposure protection. I mean, with such thin skin you must get awfully cold!

:eyebrow:

Andy's point is well taken, however. Start by considering what is the role of a DM in leading a group of certified divers - ensuring that everyone has as safe and as fun a dive as possible. Keeping that in mind, a good driving principal in developing your map would be to produce one that would maximize the safety and enjoyment of any diver that would use the map to plan and execute multiple dives on that site.

In my DM program after we developed our maps they were used to lead "Discover Local Diving" programs for divers that were new to the area. Items to be illustrated beyond just depth/distance/ should include...
  • Points of interest
  • Potential hazards
  • Plant and wildlife info
  • Entry and exit points
  • Alternate entry/exit points
  • Dive plan routes
  • Alternate dive plan routes
  • Bottom composition info
  • Water temp and current info
  • Above water dive site features
  • Emergency plan info

Perhaps your instructor should have done a better job of explaining the purpose of the mapping exercise.

It depends from instructor to instructor, best suggestion is to find out what your instructor considers a good job. When I did mine I had to do everything that RJP listed above as well as providing directions to the dive site that would be adequately understood by someone that has never been to the country before. I had compass bearing and distances to other nearby attractions, contours, depths, entrance and exit suggestions and comments, hazards, points of interest, suggested dive plan and a load more. The final piece was something like 6 pages long.

The site itself was one I had dived probably 30 times before and spent about another 5 dives on it specifically gathering information for the map.

Contrary to this I have seen people pass their courses by scibbling down some depths on a scrap of paper.

Your instructor may have an example from a previous student that he can show you as a benchmark

OK, let me start off fresh. Andy I appreciate your comments maybe I took them a little wrong at first. Maybe I worded my original question incorrectly and maybe it's that during the DM course there have been a couple requirements that just don't seem relevent. After doing several internships still don't see relevents of several of the rquirements (maybe just haven't come accross it yet). I do understand the need to know how a dive site is layed out for planning and that alternate plan that comes into play quite offten. As for the mapping my instructor has been a bit vague as to what it needs to look like, he did the same with the site emergency plan (I guess to see how far we would take it). I was just trying to get an idea of how deep I needed to go with detail. I think I have a good idea now.

Back
Top Bottom