DM/Dive instructor as a semi-retirement job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DerrickMcD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just looking for some opinions/advice on pursuing DM/instructor as a semi-retirement job.

My particulars, I'm 45 year old and have been "retired" from my job of the last 20+. Financially I don't need to return to work...if I want to quit diving regularly. Which is not really acceptable. There is also the fact that boredom will drive me to an early grave.

Right now I'm trying to settle on where to go knock out my rescue/DM training. What I've read says pick a program in an area you want to work. I've enjoyed diving in mexico, Belize, Honduras and Asia. Does where you take your program really affect your mobility that much?

Any recommendations for DM programs. I'm not looking for the cheapest option but one that provides solid training and takes things seriously. I've dove at a few gap year DM mills and don't really enjoy diving the cattle boats or getting drug behind the boat because the captain is in a hurry to refuel for the booze cruze:)

I think the advice to pick a program where you want to work is mostly about getting a foot into the area you are trying to work. Knowledge of local conditions is helpful. You can get your cards anywhere you find a good instructor. I would think it is a bigger question of where do you want to live and dive vs where should you get certified. IMHO those are quite possibly 2 completely separate questions. Not unrelated but separate. I would get those certs first since you may change your mind along the way, but I am biased by the fact that I NEED to work to afford my addiction. Since you don't NEED to work that helps a lot as it is a tough way to make a living. Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom