dizziness during open water dive classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubba k

Reaction score
Hi there. I finally took the plunge and signed up for the padi open water advanced diver course. I passed the written exam last night and have been comfortable with all of the pool dives up to our last class, last night. This pool was a deeper pool, about 15-16ft and I noticed that going down to the bottom that the pressure would bother me quiet a bit. I attempted to equalize by holding my nose and blowing several times on the way down. While down I was ok, but when i got back the surface I felt quit dizzy. The Instructor mentioned that it ws probably just the lights and the way they look from being in the water, but I definitely felt dizzy and took a 5 minute break. I went down again and the same thing happenned, except when coming back up to the surface I was even more dizzy. I was physically sick on the way home, and today I still feel slightly dizzy. I'm nervous about doing my open water dives until I can get this resolved, and regain my confidence. I don't have a cold or allergies. Any suggestions on what might be the cause? Am I not equalizing properly? Any advice would be appreciated.

First question would be did you experience any pain, if yes you need to speak to a doctor - if not then it is unlikely that it is an equalization problem.

Also in a pool the disorientation you can feel in very clear, deep water is probably not relevant.

I'm not in a position to offer anything concrete but can say that I have had two experiences when I have experienced dizziness ascending and both times I was exceeding my maximum ascent rate while trying to help a student. I now make sure my ascent is well within the maximum and never had a problem since.

Just a thought.

Equalizing too forcefully can sometimes cause dizziness. Do your ears feel clogged at all? Muffled hearing, etc.? Equalizing by holding the nose and blowing (the so-called Valsalva technique) works well for me, but I used to have frequent ear problems until I learned to do it slowly and gently.

Once in a while I get dizzy ascending from 20-30'. Consensus is that one ear equalizes faster than the other. But no problem once on the surface. The discomfort you feel well after the dive probably means seeing a Dr. is best. Physically sick on the way home would concern me.

I was once teaching an OW pool session when one of the divers started suddenly complaining about dizziness. There was no apparent reason for it in anything we had done so far, but his symptoms kept getting worse. We gave him oxygen as a precaution, and finally suggested he see a doctor. His wife was taking the class, too, and she took him to the emergency room.

It turned out he had the flu. It was just that by sheer coincidence that the symptoms had started during the class.

Don't rule out the possibility that your problem might have nothing to do with scuba.

I second both what TMH and what boulderjohn wrote wrote.

TMH mentioned differing ear pressures as a cause of dizziness--it's called alternobaric vertigo if you want to look it up. However, you still experienced the symptoms long enough to be physically ill well after your ears should have adjusted to the surface pressure, so that would seem unlikely. Still, it's worth checking out.

BJ mentioned the possibility of an unrelated illness causing your symptoms. One of the only three times I've been physically sick on a boat in my entire lifetime was due to the onset of the flu, and it was while I was teaching scuba; it had all the hallmarks of seasickness (dizziness, malaise, nausea) but it wouldn't go away when the motion stopped, so it clearly was something else.

Go get yourself checked out. It could be that you've got some morphological difference between your two ears that complicates equalization, or it could be that you've got a condition or illness that is completely unrelated to diving.

Before you go back in the water for more lessons get it checked out by a Doctor. Hopefully it is something minor like has been mentioned, but during your course you will be going significantly deeper than 16 feet so dont chance it..

A problem with your balance(dizziness), is one of the items on the medical screening form which require a doctors clearance. Hopefully it is just the onset of a cold/flu which is causing it, but be safe....

Cheers,
Roger

Bubba,

From your description, I would disagree that this had anything to do with any lights. Since it coincides with changes in depth, it's probably pressure-related. You may have had alternobaric vertigo as other posters have described, but this could also be inner ear barotrauma, which is a more serious problem with potentially longer-lasting consequences. I recommend that you get medical attention as soon as possible. Toronto General has a hyperbaric center with staff who can evaluate divers. Contact info coming at you via PM. It's doubtful that you need hyperbaric treatment but they'll be a good place to start and may be able to get you in to see an ENT who's familiar with diving injuries.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom