dizziness DOC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
HEY DOCTOR,
I was diving in a 12 foot pool and about 4 feet from the surface i started getting dizzy... there wasn't any pain, just dizzy. I wasn't going up fast at all but the dizziness finally went away about a minute after reaching the top... could this cause a blackout if i was deeper or what do you think it might be?

Not a doctor but this is very unlikely to be DCS. You weren't down deep enough to expereince a real problem and at that depth there is no way you could stay down long enough to get a high enough loading to cause a problem.

Most likely, in my completely unknowledgable opinion, it was a case of anxiety or perhaps the result of diving while conjested. This can cause the ears to expereince a pressure change resulting in a dizzy feeling. The feeling could be cuased by coming up too fast or by holding your breath too long if breath hold diving. It is also possible that you hyperventalated too much and causing your body to miscalculate your oxygen needs.

if you plan to deep or long breath hold dives., it may be a good idea to look into your technique to ensure you are preparing for the dive properly especially in terms of oxygen loading and breathing.

I'm sure others with more knowledge will comment and give you a clearer answer but you are likely not in any danger. Once again this is my non-medical opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Hello nostair:

This sounds as though it could be alternobaric vertigo. This results from unequal pressure between the two middle ears. A sensation of vertigo results until the pressures equalize.

Dr Deco :doctor:
On vacation this week.

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom