Dizziness and DCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joCCe

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the story:

A Saturday about 7 weeks ago I did two dives with nitrox on a nitrox course.

Dive #1: EAN34 max 23m/69ft, 16m/48ft avg and 24 min.
Surface interval: 2:30
Dive #2: EAN40 max 18m/54ft 12m/36ft avg and 30 min.

Dive #1 didnt go so well. I had an uncontrolled rapid ascent from 14 meters / 42 ft and I used about 10 - 15 sec to surface. I did not breath O2 cause the instructor on the course said I didn't need to worry... I know I should have argued until I got O2, but I didnt. Instead I prepared for dive #2....

Two days after these dives I contacted a dive doc due to pain in my shoulders, which I had felt since the day after the dives. After talking to the doc and explaining the symptoms he decided not to send me to any further examinations, because the shoulder pain wasn't constant when I moved my shoulders and it was located in both shoulders.

Wednesday the same week I contacted them again because I still had a bad shoulder and I felt a general fatigue. I went to the hospital and had a nervrological examination, blod tests and a EKG test. The doc couldn't find any signs of dci so he decided not to give me a chamber ride. The following days I began to notice a mild dizzyness and I contacted the docs once more, but I was told that it was very unlikely to be dci and that I should seek other medical help to find out what was wrong with me.

I've taken a MR of my head, and several blood tests and all seems normal. The dizziness was constant for about 6 weeks, but during the last week I've been feeling better for each day. :)

Do you think I got bent or could it be another explanation to the dizziness?
Is it safe to dive again and how long do you recomend me to wait until I dive again?

Thanks
Joakim

Shouldn't you call DAN? 1-800-446-2671.... assuming you're a member.

Zenshift:
Shouldn't you call DAN? 1-800-446-2671.... assuming you're a member.
You don't need to be a member to call them. Call DAN.

But, also, join DAN and get their insurance.

Hello JoCCe:

One can never say with certainty, but the gas loads from those dives are not particularly great.

Since many people who have never dived experience the problems you have described, I would suspect that the cause lies with something other than diving. An examination by a physician would be in order if the problem persists or reappears.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Thanks for all the answers.

I emailed DAN and they thought it might be some kind of infection. I've also had a couple of examinations but the doctors could not say for certain what it was. One of the docs thought that the dives caused the trouble and the other one didnt.

As I wrote in my initial post I've had a MR and several blood tests and everything seems ok. No one can tell me how long I should wait before I dive again, so I guess it's up to me to decide... What would you do? Wait a couple of months and cross the fingers?

Thanks
Joakim

joCCe:
Here's the story:

A Saturday about 7 weeks ago I did two dives with nitrox on a nitrox course.

Dive #1: EAN34 max 23m/69ft, 16m/48ft avg and 24 min.
Surface interval: 2:30
Dive #2: EAN40 max 18m/54ft 12m/36ft avg and 30 min.

Dive #1 didnt go so well. I had an uncontrolled rapid ascent from 14 meters / 42 ft and I used about 10 - 15 sec to surface. I did not breath O2 cause the instructor on the course said I didn't need to worry... I know I should have argued until I got O2, but I didnt. Instead I prepared for dive #2....

Two days after these dives I contacted a dive doc due to pain in my shoulders, which I had felt since the day after the dives. After talking to the doc and explaining the symptoms he decided not to send me to any further examinations, because the shoulder pain wasn't constant when I moved my shoulders and it was located in both shoulders.
Could be just the weight of the wet gear on your shoulders when you exited the water.
Wednesday the same week I contacted them again because I still had a bad shoulder and I felt a general fatigue. I went to the hospital and had a nervrological examination, blod tests and a EKG test. The doc couldn't find any signs of dci so he decided not to give me a chamber ride. The following days I began to notice a mild dizzyness and I contacted the docs once more, but I was told that it was very unlikely to be dci and that I should seek other medical help to find out what was wrong with me.

I've taken a MR of my head, and several blood tests and all seems normal. The dizziness was constant for about 6 weeks, but during the last week I've been feeling better for each day. :)

Do you think I got bent or could it be another explanation to the dizziness?
Is it safe to dive again and how long do you recomend me to wait until I dive again?

Thanks
Joakim
I'm sure no doc, but I do understand ear baurotrauma is not uncommon in new divers.
Also if you have an inner ear infection, that can cause vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom